LineStyle-dash line

xckea

on VW10, after painfully editing all linestyle to be exactly what I wanted in that little "attributes default-dash style" palette in one file. i tried to copy these lines to another files, so to maintain consistency across entire project, but everything shows up different. got any solution? there's gotta be a better way than to edit the linestyle-dash style default palette for every file right? can i import dash style default into new file?

any help are very much apreciated...

suggestion:

it is quite painful to try to scroll down the dashstyle in the Object attributes menu, count and figure out what number it is and then go edit it. is it possible to put a number before each type on the object attributes menu?

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION

BUT I AM COPYING AN EXISTING FILE & EDITING IT, WITH A BUNCH OF LAYERS, SET IN DIFFERENT SCALE & DIFFERENT ORIGIN, AND SOME LAYERLINK & WORKSPACE REFERENCE, I CAN'T REALLY COPY EVERYTHING ONTO THE NEW "TEMPLATE" FILE WITHOUT LOSING A BUNCH OF STUFF....

GOT ANOTHER IDEA? THANKS....

hi

you could try copy and paste a line with the line style you want from the drawing you already edited into the new drawing ..... then go to edit dash style select the dash you want to edit, hit the delete button and then you get a window which allows you select a dash to replace it with (select the style of the dash you just cut and pasted into the drawing) and hay presto all the lines and objects with that style are changed

make sure you have the 'scale with line thickness' box checked

cheers

Klaus

[ 11-12-2004, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: klaus ]

the thing is that, when i copy & paste those line with specific styles into new drawing, it just shows up as solid, so i can't just edit the palette with the style i wanted.

have gotten a suggestion to delete some existing dash style on dwg. #2 before I paste lines from #1. this does the trick. however, i am messing up some existing objects that are using some of those style. as there's no way for me to tell which styles are being used and which ones are not...

sorry this post is getting more and more confusing.

i'd appreciate any response/suggestion though.

cheers

Ok, I think you are fighting with the way the software works. This will cause nothing but wasted time and frustration. Again I suggest that you create a template - wait, before you dismiss this, listen to the rest. Take your existing file (the one that has the dashes the way you want them) and go to FILE>SAVE AS. Now you have an exact copy of the file, including all of your preference settings as well as dash styles, etc, etc. Use this new file as your template. If you need to (or want to) you can go to each layer, do a SELECT ALL and delete all of the actual objects in that layer. Then you can cut & paste from your other document to your heart's content. I hope that makes sense.

I also have one additional question for you: Are you trying to create a drawing set (ie: multiple sheets) by using multiple documents? If so you might try it another way by using one document with multiple layers and/or classes. Please message back if you wish. :-)

What you need to do is create new dash styles over and above the standard number in the dash pallette.

If you then draw lines of these types and copy/cut them and then paste them into another document this will add them to the dash styles in your destination document.

For the future what you can do also is modify the dash styles in your template files and save them as new template files (overwriting the existing ones if you wish) . This will at least make your new work have the desired dash styles.

Hope this helps