Jim Wilson

Teaser Tuesday - 2D Components for Hybrid Objects - Vectorworks 2019

Looking forward to watch the explanation video.

Lots of my unwritten questions were answered already after re-watching the teaser video.

But I think the side views itself and the LOD option is are great (btw: shiny NEW) features.

A couple more questions/ideas -

1. I was assuming that only architectural hybrid PIOs can access this but maybe that's not true. Will this work with lighting instruments and soft goods?
  2. Can the side section component be used even if a symbol is sitting at an angle in plan view? In the entertainment industry the graphical convention on the section is to show a side on section cut through a lighting instrument even if the instrument is rotated on the plan.
  3. Now that PIOs can have multiple 2d components couldn't stairs have upper floor/lower floor components in the future.....                          

Kevin

• Like 3

On 8/29/2018 at 4:22 PM, Matt Overton said:

Why should design layers always be 1:1?

The model is the true size, the visualisation is purely for discussion with the driver.

To me, eye on the prize work at what scale is going to get the job done and always think about what is needed to get the job done.

Exactly. Drawing at 1/8" scale with a 0:0 at DC, positioned where I want the model on an Arch D/E page size, with fonts for dims/notes/callouts at 10/12pt... saves a ton of time annotating SLVP's. The less I have to enter an edit mode in this app, the faster I finish.

I was wondering if in Spotlight, the acompanied spotlight labels that are now only visible in top plan view. Can also be made visible in these views? This could be an interesting 3D label option. 

14 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I was assuming that only architectural hybrid PIOs can access this but maybe that's not true. Will this work with lighting instruments and soft goods?

I don't know know which objects in Spotlight work with this feature, but pretty much any hybrid PIO should.

Can the side section component be used even if a symbol is sitting at an angle in plan view? In the entertainment industry the graphical convention on the section is to show a side on section cut through a lighting instrument even if the instrument is rotated on the plan.

These special behaviors of the Lighting Device may not make good use of the feature just yet. However, we do have some ideas of how the lighting device could be improved to do things like this in a future version.

Now that PIOs can have multiple 2d components couldn't stairs have upper floor/lower floor components in the future.....                          

Possibly. We do have some other ideas of how objects like stairs can better represent themselves on different floors in the future.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sebastiaan said:

I was wondering if in Spotlight, the acompanied spotlight labels that are now only visible in top plan view. Can also be made visible in these views? This could be an interesting 3D label option. 

Possibly. I'm not really the best person to be answering Spotlight questions. 🙂 These objects have behaviors quite different than objects in other areas of Vectorworks. In general, we'd rather move away from placing 3D tags in the model to have them show up on drawings. It's not as flexible as it should be because you cannot move the tags where you need them for each drawing. We do have some good ideas of how this could be done though.

• Like 2

i really like that...if we do interiors and use realistic chair symbols it was very easy to create a hybrid object with the "render bitmap tool" in open GL and alpa transarency (a bit tricky with resolution and scale though) , where a hidden line was often a fail...would be great to have this option too ,even it has no proper snapping etc....

3D top view.png

copy to polagon hidden line.png

open gl with alpha channel.png

27 minutes ago, joerg said:

i really like that...if we do interiors and use realistic chair symbols it was very easy to create a hybrid object with the "render bitmap tool" in open GL and alpa transarency (a bit tricky with resolution and scale though) , where a hidden line was often a fail...would be great to have this option too ,even it has no proper snapping etc....

Hi joerg,

Be aware that these graphics are rendered only in hidden line mode for objects beyond the cut plane. Due to limitations in hidden line render modes, bitmaps and 2D fill attributes (other than hatches) will not display in Vectorworks 2019. However, we have made some improvements that include display of line types in hidden line. On the other hand, 2D components that display in the cut plane (when an object is cut) do display full 2D attributes because they're not rendered in hidden line. We do understand the need for displaying other 2D attributes for objects beyond the cut plane and are exploring possibilities for future versions.

• Like 2

Thanks Matt,

i just wanted to show my "workarround" with these 2D png files in screen plane ...worked quite well and is a quick solution for complex forms. As walls are hybrid and a floorplan looks better in 2d etc. i know there are so many demands....hard to please everybody! We'll see!

Edited by joerg

6 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

However, we have made some improvements that include display of line types in hidden line.

^ this is an interesting piece of information........ is this for 2d or for 3d objects?

KM

20 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

^ this is an interesting piece of information........ is this for 2d or for 3d objects?

It should work in both 2D and 3D. However, it may not work well for curved geometry that becomes faceted.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 3:50 PM, Jan-Burger TROOST said:

Same here. I don‘t have Facebook, but hear the Q&A is like a second screen to the forum. Is there another way to see them?

The recordings of the livestreams have all been added to the teaser playlist on Youtube, so that anyone can view them. They're the last videos in the list which also includes the teaser vids themselves: 

• Like 3

I have created a test file (attached).  It seems to me that it is rather slow to update the viewport when all that is being shown is a 2d component of the symbol.  Am I doing something wrong?

Test.vwx

14 hours ago, The Hamma said:

I have created a test file (attached).  It seems to me that it is rather slow to update the viewport when all that is being shown is a 2d component of the symbol.  Am I doing something wrong?

Test.vwx

@The Hamma ,

It looks like most of the objects in the 3D Component are set to display along with the 2D components. This is causing the objects to be rendered in hidden line behind the displayed 2d component. Try editing the 3D component of the symbol, select all of the objects, click on the "Display with 2D Components" button in the Object Info platte and uncheck all of the options. Once you do that, it should render much faster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Panzer said:

@The Hamma ,

It looks like most of the objects in the 3D Component are set to display along with the 2D components. This is causing the objects to be rendered in hidden line behind the displayed 2d component. Try editing the 3D component of the symbol, select all of the objects, click on the "Display with 2D Components" button in the Object Info platte and uncheck all of the options. Once you do that, it should render much faster.

Thanks that was the issue. 

• Like 1

Regarding the Generate 2D from 3D Component function...

On 8/30/2018 at 12:57 PM, Matt Panzer said:

This functionality will be constrained to the command with 2D Component edit mode for VW 2019. However, we will certainly be exploring other places for it in future versions.

After playing with it a bit and seeing the great CURVED results that it creates, I'd absolutely recommend placing this command alongside Convert to Lines and Convert to Polygons under the Edit<Convert menu. It's essentially Convert to Polylines! It's great!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

Regarding the Generate 2D from 3D Component function...

After playing with it a bit and seeing the great CURVED results that it creates, I'd absolutely recommend placing this command alongside Convert to Lines and Convert to Polygons under the Edit<Convert menu. It's essentially Convert to Polylines! It's great!

It is very good. It generates nice clean geometry. I would be good technology to integrate into the Autohybrid conversion too.

Kevin

Anyone tried putting a whole project inside a symbol yet, to see if they can use this function to generate nice editable elevations....?

• Laugh 1