Probably a simple answer regarding views

This seems like a simple question, but I'm having trouble finding the answer.

Just started with VW, made a theatre groundplan, looked correct with hatchmarks. Extruded the walls and proscenium (complex polygon), went to side view and made the top of proscenium arch, but after extruding, my hatch marks in the polygon have vanished and the top of the arch shows up in my plan view. How do I keep my hatches in the plan view and how do I view just the items' footprints? Do I need to do a section that's about a foot on either side of the ground plane, or is there a way to view just 2D items, or do I no longer have any 2D items due to the extrusion. Can I turn a top view of my extruded polygon back into a 2D item?

Thanks for your help.

If you are not using 2D/3D parametric objects, this requires a little trick:

Make a copy of the content of your extruded objects (go into 'edit object' and copy everything). Paste the content of the clipboard 'in place' (alt-contr-V). Select the 'Floor'- menu item and covert all the pasted objects into a (fake) floor.

Make the floor Z-height, so that it is slightly under the 'real' floor. Adjust the stacking order of the objects, so that it will go in front of the 3D extruded polygons in the top/plan view (you may want to ensure that the polygons of the fake floor have a neutral fill behind the hatch.

You can add elements to the fake floor as you go along, but be sure not to ungroup it accidentally: It will then convert into 2D objects.

quote:

Originally posted by Jeff A.R. Jones:

how do I recover a 2D version of my complex polygon from the 3D version?

Go to the view you want to see it in and use

Tool>Convert Copy to Polygons (or lines if you prefer).

Note: if you want to be able to choose between seeing the 3D or2D version why not take advantage of the enormously useful VW Hybrid environment and make a hybrid Symbol out of the 2&3D versions you have made?

I can't remember where it is in the manual off hand.

HTH,

N.