Jump to content
nwfonseca

Sheet layer Drawing Coordination

Recommended Posts

I have a question about inserting a new layer in between 2 existing sheet layers. How do I go about inserting the new layer between say, one and two and have 2 become 3 using auto coordination? Is that even possible?

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, nwfonseca said:

I have a question about inserting a new layer in between 2 existing sheet layers. How do I go about inserting the new layer between say, one and two and have 2 become 3 using auto coordination? Is that even possible?

 

There is currently no way to have it auto-renumber the sheets, although it's definitely been requested before, and in my opinion is a "how does this not exist?" sort of feature. We'll see in the next few weeks if maybe it made it into 2019. 🙂

 

For now, say you have 10 sheets, you'd have to renumber 10 as 11, then 9 as 10, 8 as 9, etc. till the number 2 is available.

Share this post


Link to post

gotcha, I thought that was the point of automatic drawing coordination haha. If I am changing the numbering in the layers pallet I assume the title blocks "should" update to match?  

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, nwfonseca said:

gotcha, I thought that was the point of automatic drawing coordination haha. If I am changing the numbering in the layers pallet I assume the title blocks "should" update to match?  

 

Correct, currently you can rename and renumber a sheet via the navigation palette and it should make the title blocks update as well (and vice versa). This relies on automatic drawing coordination.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

yes, this has been a problem and I don't know exactly why this is not fixed as the path for drawing names etc works so why wouldn't it work for the sheet number?  My work around it is via drawing list, I managed to make it feed the title block sheet numbers.  It is easier to change the numbers in worksheet but then you still need to  double click each title block to actuate the change.  It seems like the title block needs another command similar to the worksheet - "recalculate all title blocks".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Gotcha thanks. It is just busy work we still have to do in order to get them moved. I guess as long as the sheet is inserted closer to the bottom of the list the manual work is less haha. As long as all the sheet numbers update then it isn't the end of the world. Although, I was messing around with a file that someone else created that I work in that has 49 pages. When I create a new sheet it will auto title it 1 of 50 but all the other layers still say of 49. The other designer assigned the number 49 in the "Project" portion of the record format. Do you have to first alter that number to 50 etc. then add in the new layer/ layers and rename them all accordingly?

19 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

 

Correct, currently you can rename and renumber a sheet via the navigation palette and it should make the title blocks update as well (and vice versa). This relies on automatic drawing coordination.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Yes that would be a nice function. I guess it is a wish list item for now. I just figure if automation can save time this would be a huge time saver. I am always looking for ways to improve my workflow and easier sheet insertion would go a long way toward that.

17 hours ago, TKA said:

yes, this has been a problem and I don't know exactly why this is not fixed as the path for drawing names etc works so why wouldn't it work for the sheet number?  My work around it is via drawing list, I managed to make it feed the title block sheet numbers.  It is easier to change the numbers in worksheet but then you still need to  double click each title block to actuate the change.  It seems like the title block needs another command similar to the worksheet - "recalculate all title blocks".

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, nwfonseca said:

Gotcha thanks. It is just busy work we still have to do in order to get them moved. I guess as long as the sheet is inserted closer to the bottom of the list the manual work is less haha. As long as all the sheet numbers update then it isn't the end of the world. Although, I was messing around with a file that someone else created that I work in that has 49 pages. When I create a new sheet it will auto title it 1 of 50 but all the other layers still say of 49. The other designer assigned the number 49 in the "Project" portion of the record format. Do you have to first alter that number to 50 etc. then add in the new layer/ layers and rename them all accordingly?

 

 

Prior to VW2018, the "Total Sheets" field is a manual entry thing.

 

2018 introduced a way to have it automatically count the total number of active sheets, so it depends which version you're using...

 

(I'm not sure about the part where you say a new sheet will auto-title to 1 of 50... that doesn't make sense to me)

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

(I'm not sure about the part where you say a new sheet will auto-title to 1 of 50... that doesn't make sense to me)

 

I think the title block that was just edited will show the updated number of sheets (50). All the others may still show 49 sheets until they are forced to update (eg. editing each title block, perhaps publishing). 

 

44 minutes ago, nwfonseca said:

When I create a new sheet it will auto title it 1 of 50 but all the other layers still say of 49. The other designer assigned the number 49 in the "Project" portion of the record format. Do you have to first alter that number to 50 etc. then add in the new layer/ layers and rename them all accordingly?

 

It should all update automatically. Is the Use Total Number of Active Title Block Borders checkbox checked on the Project Data pane? If it is the automatic coordination is on.

 

Kevin

 

Share this post


Link to post

Ah, it seemed like my office was going to get us all 2018 but it hasn't happened. Sounds like a nice function.

Basically, our office uses an "X of Y" system for sheet numbering, rather than just a single number. And to confuse everything further they call them pages rather than sheets. So I have to name things pages in the title block even though they occupy the sheet placeholder in the layers pallet and the record format. I have added a screenshot of what the organization pallet looks like. We have the sheets in the Sheet Number Column in a 1 of 49 sequence. In the sheet name column we use the the Discipline, Type, Sequence nomenclature. Using that, it is easier to insert a sheet as you can add a letter or number into the sequence. Where it gets crazy, is the X of Y numbering. We have to use the "X of Y" numbering for the rubes as they can't follow the USCAD standards for sheet titles. That also means when I use a detail marker I have to reference the XY sheets meaning if I insert a sheet I have to manually update huge numbers of sheets. It is all very complicated and I am trying to either get it simplified or at least have a workaround. The workaround I have been trying is to use their existing nomenclature and fit it in the VW system. Ugh, my head is going to explode.

Capture.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, nwfonseca said:

Ah, it seemed like my office was going to get us all 2018 but it hasn't happened. Sounds like a nice function.

Basically, our office uses an "X of Y" system for sheet numbering, rather than just a single number. And to confuse everything further they call them pages rather than sheets. So I have to name things pages in the title block even though they occupy the sheet placeholder in the layers pallet and the record format. I have added a screenshot of what the organization pallet looks like. We have the sheets in the Sheet Number Column in a 1 of 49 sequence. In the sheet name column we use the the Discipline, Type, Sequence nomenclature. Using that, it is easier to insert a sheet as you can add a letter or number into the sequence. Where it gets crazy, is the X of Y numbering. We have to use the "X of Y" numbering for the rubes as they can't follow the USCAD standards for sheet titles. That also means when I use a detail marker I have to reference the XY sheets meaning if I insert a sheet I have to manually update huge numbers of sheets. It is all very complicated and I am trying to either get it simplified or at least have a workaround. The workaround I have been trying is to use their existing nomenclature and fit it in the VW system. Ugh, my head is going to explode.

Capture.JPG

 

Oh... Yeah, this is not a great system because now you have to go through and manually rename every sheet layer to be 50 instead of 49.

 

Usually the "total number of sheets" is a separate field on its own, so that you can easily change it across all sheets. For pre-2018 Title Block workflows, check out this page of mine: http://www.andybroomell.com/vectorworks-title-block-tutorial

 

The reason a new sheet says "of 50" is because VW automatically names duplicated things by increasing the final number. It doesn't know this has anything to do with the number of sheets, instead it's simply changing the number 49 to 50 in that name. Just like if you duplicated a texture named "Wood 7" it would be named "Wood 8". It's not counting anything.. it's just a name 🙂

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, Ironically I have that tutorial bookmarked! I started following it to create a new title block. I have put it on the shelf until I finish up the job I am on so I am not trying to implement it in the middle of the project. I am trying to use the existing naming conventions I am working with but I want the layers to be numbered the way you have them in the example. I guess I can have the text say "page" instead of "plate" Luckily I am in the process of getting the team to use sheet layers and custom title blocks as they weren't using any of it before. They were using design layers for everything including what would be sheet layers. It was crazy, the title blocks in order to fit on the page were like 30 feet tall. They were also splitting every individual floor plan type into a separate vectorworks file. I got it into my head that I wanted to get them more organized so I started getting them on board with these elements. Happily they have been receptive, and as I am a contract worker i have more time to dedicate to getting them up to speed in between projects.  I will get back to that title block soon in a fresh document with brand new record formats etc. I think I can get that numbering system to work. Thanks for your help!

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×
×
  • Create New...