Multi Symbol X Value is consistently off.

I created a report for my multi that includes a field for the X value of the Multi Head symbol. That symbol is consistently 44' 9 1/2" off in the report from where it actually is in the drawing. Thankfully it's consistent so I can create an extra column that accounts for the offset, but can anyone speak to why that's the case? I've checked the symbol itself and it's set to (0,0). The drawing and user origin are both the same in the drawing.

I've created a new document just to make sure it wasn't the file itself and it reoccurs just the same.

Ideas?

Pat,

Thanks for your reply. I did try all of those things, but now I understand the problem. The X value of the Mult head is relative to the start of the multi.

In order to get my desired result these things are true:

Multis originate from the right of the drawing

Mult head symbols are centered on the Mult End

Small Mult Head symbols are 20" wide

If I make a function that adds 10" to the LeftBound value of the mult, it will tell me where the mult head should drop.

Terry,

It tells you where the multi relative to the start.  Why do you want this?  Real question, not a criticism.  That value is not relative to any object or hanging position position; it only works, as you said for cables coming from screen right.  What are you trying to tell the reader of the worksheet, or what are you using it for?  Perhaps a command can be fashioned to do the job.

Sam

• 1 month later...

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the inquiry. This particular exercise is to create a worksheet for a regional theatre where the circuits in the stage house originate from the stage left mid-rail. During my prep I specify where the breakouts will land on the pipe so that the multi cables can be loomed appropriately on the midrail and lowered in, connected, and tied up to the pipe with minimal to no effort or thought to the process.

That's my general rule for installing shows: Leave as little room as possible for interpretation.

• 5 months later...

The XCoordinate function will tell you where the insertion point of the multi is, and the insertion point is the beginning of the cable.  The multi head will always land at the coordinates of the last vertex.  To my knowledge there is no worksheet function that will tell you the X,Y of the last vertex of a polyline, the cable.  A vector script can access this, but if such a command were to be constructed, where would you want the result to be placed?