Hate to complain... but.

I've been reluctant to make this comment until now, but I'm facing tight deadlines and it's affecting my productivity, here goes...

When I adjust shutters or make other changes to light instruments, I often (randomly!) cannot see the results unless I save the project, close the project, close the app, restart the app, re-open the project, re-render.

For a piece of software that costs this much, it's pretty frustrating. <-- UNDERSTATEMENT.

Here's today's example, the shutter settings and the render, plus yesterday's render with actual shuttering (same instruments/settings - all that's changed since this is lowering the truss, and trying to re-adjust shutters).  

Cheers.

Capture wtf.JPG

Capture shutters.JPG

working shutters.jpg

I don't know if this is the case with you, Steve, but I have often found that if lights are turned on in the viewport but are off on the Design Layer, then the shutters aren't generated and you get the results you are seeing today. This is because the Lighting Device will only generate the shutter assembly geometry when a light is turned on in the design layer.

41 minutes ago, markdd said:

I don't know if this is the case with you, Steve, but I have often found that if lights are turned on in the viewport but are off on the Design Layer, then the shutters aren't generated and you get the results you are seeing today. This is because the Lighting Device will only generate the shutter assembly geometry when a light is turned on in the design layer.

Hello @markdd; by "…I have often found…" do you mean replicably often? And what's the diff to a lighting instrument whether it's on or off in a DL or a VP?

17 minutes ago, mjm said:

Hello @markdd; by "…I have often found…" do you mean replicably often? And what's the diff to a lighting instrument whether it's on or off in a DL or a VP?

I was working on a couple of drawings about 9 months ago and I had problems with shutters not appearing in viewports, despite being set up from the design layer. I narrowed it down to the fact that the Lighting Devices were off in the design layers and only turned on as a Viewport Overrides from a sheet layer.

I noticed that the shutter geometry is only generated when a light is turned on. When it is turned off then gobo textures and shutter geometry disappears. 

Yes, the last sentence is replaceable every time.

Just now, markdd said:

I was working on a couple of drawings about 9 months ago and I had problems with shutters not appearing in viewports, despite being set up from the design layer. I narrowed it down to the fact that the Lighting Devices were off in the design layers and only turned on as a Viewport Overrides from a sheet layer.

I noticed that the shutter geometry is only generated when a light is turned on. When it is turned off then gobo textures and shutter geometry disappears. 

Yes, the last sentence is replaceable every time.

Well that explains a problem I'd been having, thanks.