Design layer viewport source question

HEengineering

Question

Hoping there is something Im missing here.  When I create a design layer viewport and I have to move the original cropped area, why doesnt the crop know to move with it?  It is a huge drawback to the otherwise great feature? Every time I move the cropped source I have to go correct every DLVP that is tied to that source? Or maybe there is a a way to avoid this? 

11 answers to this question

Detail Vieports as in on DLVP or SLVP?  Im using a DLVP to show repetitive line work in another location.  All this SLVP and DLVP stuff creates a lot of confusion.  I know how to use each, but it seems to me that there all built with the idea that the should eventually land on a SLVP.  

One of the reasons I always enjoyed using VW is because of its flexibility. You could work in Sheet views or Saved views, and viewports in either.  Seems that VW really wants you to move to Sheet views.  When we started w VW years ago the trainers thought saved views made more sense for our workflow. I still struggle today to see how a full on Sheet layer viewport work flow makes sense for us.  All the work of updating viewports constantly and trusting it wont crash, in leu of simply workin on design layers that dont rely on all this connectivity, dont forget some of us are not working on architecture or buildings which this workflow seem to cater to. 

Im not sure your following Mark.  Lets say I have a line work sitting in a DL.  Now I want to draw an enlarged view of that area on DL 2.  I can copy and paste the line work or I can Create a DLVP from DL 1 on DL 2 with a Crop on DL 1.  That is what Im doing.

However If I move the DL 1 line work in which the crop was drawn around, the cropped area that is in DL-2 moves with it.  Leaving you with a empty cropped area on DL-2, that you must click into and move back over the DL 1 line work.

Yes, I think I understand. What I don't understand is how you are making the Design Layer Viewport. Once the crop is made and used to create the DLVP it disappears from DL1 and exists only in the crop of the viewport which is on DL2. What you are describing (as I understand it!!) is what the Detail Viewport command does, however, that only works from design layers to sheet layers.

I also don't understand how you are making the line work (by "line work" I assume you mean geometry) enlarged. The only way I know how to do that would be to give DL2 a different scale.

Is this something that once worked? If it is, then yes please, let's have it back.

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim!

1 hour ago, HEengineering said:

Hoping there is something Im missing here.  When I create a design layer viewport and I have to move the original cropped area, why doesnt the crop know to move with it? 

This is because the crop is using its absolute position as its reference. The crop doesn't associate with geometry so it doesn't move when you move the geometry. The same holds true for cropped Sheet Layer viewports as well.

1 hour ago, markdd said:

I also don't understand how you are making the line work (by "line work" I assume you mean geometry) enlarged. The only way I know how to do that would be to give DL2 a different scale.

58 minutes ago, HEengineering said:

Bingo.  Your last statement is correct.  DL-2 is a different scale.  We have no reason to work in unified views, which I think has something to do with whether DL's can have difference scales? I could be wrong.

This is a very common 2d workflow in VW for long term users. Sheet Layers were originally added for Autocad DWG compatibility (Model Space/Paper Space equivalent). I think if they had been added just to serve VW users they may have been something entirely different.

The only workflow I could imagine where you wouldn't need to update crops would be to make the crop area objects into a symbol. Then the geometry can exist in two (or more) different places and in different scales. You would only need to update the symbol if the geometry itself changed.

Kevin

• Like 1

Kevin you amaze me with your knowledge of this program.  Im trying to find ways to justify moving to sheet views.  The only reason we were even considering it is because occasionally we have a client that wants the 300 sites we just completed converted to auto cad (and its usually a last min request).  To retro fit each one is a task not suited to our current workflow.  Pazner cad plugin handled this problem elegantly for us for years. Seems crazy to change our whole workflow for this potential occasion.  It doesnt happen a lot but enough.

Getting a little of topic, Im looking down the road in the even that we can no longer utilize that plugin do to updates. The only answer is to work in sheet views. Seems like the tail wagging the dog from our vantage point.

Edited by HEengineering

@Kevin McAllister - Great idea with the symbol!  It avoids the whole issue of dvlps.  Workflow would be to have each site as a symbol with an instance of each of them master layer. Place another instance of each symbol as the only object on a new layer - separate layer for each symbol.  There could be some auxiliary layers or classes with site grid utilities, and other items that pass through or encompass the entire area.

@HEengineering Does the request for "converted to auto cad" mean each site as a separate file?  The Vectorworks export dwg dialog has an option for exporting each layer as a separate dwg file. (might require some fiddling with the class and layer set up to get the relevant part of the site grid into each file)

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
language

So would you say DLVP are somewhat archaic?  Seems like there is no good way to move a DLVP from one drawing to the next as well?

Im getting lost in all the various ways things can be referenced.  I cant copy and paste one.  Seems its either to be reference thru a viewport or a external design layer viewport reference? Which neither of these seem to do quite what I was hoping for with the files we currently have set up.

What is the best way to get a DLVP from one drawing to the next? Sometimes I have a deslgn layer with regular line work and also a design layer with an DLVP for an enlarged view.

I thought I knew this program well but this one has my head spinning. This all seems seems much more intesive than simply working with Saved views and layer imports for reference files.