Viewports & How to Purge unused Design Layers

Dear VW lovers,

I have a VW file I have worked on for a few months, with contains many meanwhile unnecessary Design Layers, and now I wanted to reduce it to what I only need within this file.

So firstly I deleted all unnecessary sheet layers and viewports and then purged the file down to the bone.

But now the aim is to only keep the design layers which are connected to these Viewports.

--> All other Design Layers can be deleted.

But because there are so many of them, it is mighty time consuming to go over every single viewport and check which DLs are connected and which not, to then delete those.

Is there an automation similar to purging that does the trick?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Grethe

Normally I do this with the Purge Command.

When Files are complex I activate only one option at a time.

You will then get a list of all things selected for purging.

(That you can sort by object types if necessary)

It is very reliable to purge only things that are not in use in any way.

But I always look through the list and if needed deactivate some

of the objects before finally purging.

Say for Classes, I may want to get rid of unused imported Classes,

but will deactivate some of my own Classes in the list that are

currently or not yet in use.

So "Purge" may need to be used repetitive.

Like cleaning unused Symbols may make some Classes unused,

that may be deleted in a second Purge run for Classes.

3 hours ago, Grethe Connerth said:

Dear VW lovers,

I have a VW file I have worked on for a few months, with contains many meanwhile unnecessary Design Layers, and now I wanted to reduce it to what I only need within this file.

So firstly I deleted all unnecessary sheet layers and viewports and then purged the file down to the bone.

But now the aim is to only keep the design layers which are connected to these Viewports.

--> All other Design Layers can be deleted.

But because there are so many of them, it is mighty time consuming to go over every single viewport and check which DLs are connected and which not, to then delete those.

Is there an automation similar to purging that does the trick?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Grethe

Hi Grethe,

I think the easiest way to approach this would be from the Layers tab of the Organization dialog (Tools>Organization). If you click on Visibilities in the upper right hand corner it will switch to a view where you can easily see if a layer is used in a viewport. You would still have to step through each layer (left hand column) but you can instantly see where its used and use the Delete button at the bottom if its safe to delete.

Kevin

577434223_ScreenShot2018-08-24at7_08_54AM.thumb.png.7dc61cc2b19eb5fc7fc010a76c6d01f6.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Hi Grethe,

I think the easiest way to approach this would be from the Layers tab of the Organization dialog (Tools>Organization). If you click on Visibilities in the upper right hand corner it will switch to a view where you can easily see if a layer is used in a viewport. You would still have to step through each layer (left hand column) but you can instantly see where its used and use the Delete button at the bottom if its safe to delete.

Kevin

577434223_ScreenShot2018-08-24at7_08_54AM.thumb.png.7dc61cc2b19eb5fc7fc010a76c6d01f6.png

Awesome, thanks Kevin.

On 8/25/2018 at 12:13 AM, Kevin McAllister said:

Hi Grethe,

Kevin

I second that, awesome Kevin, very nifty and helpful.

Thank you!!!

Gretrhe

... on that note, and now since I am using the Organization dialog (Tools>Organization) --> Visibilities

I would love it if there was sort of a "Choice Pop Up Window" giving 2 possibilities to delete for example a Design Layer: 

--> A) Delete Completely

--> B) Replace with other Design Layer

Same as it is when deleting Classes or Symbols.

• Like 1