How to Model a Sloped Driveway / Parking Area?

I'd like to model the shape and various slopes of a circular driveway and parking area with a curb/retaining wall around most of the edges. I'd like to use this to verify slope and drainage, cutting sections as needed to check. 

I'm wondering how to approach this and which tools to use:  Maybe add site modifiers and a texture bed to the site model? Or, add some object on top of the site, such as a loft surface, shelled to provide some thickness? Maybe the curb becomes an extrude a long path, or wall? I'm hoping the method will allow easy editing afterward.

Any thoughts on how you would approach this will be greatly appreciated. The attached PDF shows the 2D shape fo the area in question (with the concrete hatch).

Thanks,

Ed

@EJW - Your pdf did not attach.  But there are a couple common techniques

One way is to create a Roadway, perhaps the NURBS Roadway version would be a good choice here. Roadway tools are in the Site Planning Toolset. I think it defaults to Roadway T in the tool palette which shows a little triangle at right side of text to indicate that there are more versions. Click/Hold the Roadway T (or whichever version is showing) tool bar icon to expand the menu.  Drag over the one you want and release the Hold. Roadways are complex smart objects which combine site modifiers such as pads and grade limits, plus a bunch of parametric controls and options.  These roadway elements combine to modify the Site Model surface, display a road which is made of a chain of segments. It works with other features of the site model, such as cut/fill, contour adjustments, etc, etc.  It can be edited, and sections should be good, but there is lots to learn to make it work seamlessly.

Another way is to place a pad, or series of pads showing the plan projected shape of the road, curb, retaining walls.  The pads can all be at same z level or can have stepped z or slopes - however is convenient.  Then model the road, curbs, walls, etc with solids modeling tools.  This makes easier edits, but misses the cut/fill and some other advantages of the integrated Site Model/Roadway tool approach.

HTH

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
just because
  • Like 1

Thanks Benson. I've now attached that PDF site plan, just in case it might suggest other approaches.

I've been baffled by the Roadway tools in the past and I probably don't need them often enough to struggle through the learning curve. So the pads and solid model tools are sounding more appealing. I'll give it a try.

Ed

@EJW I have worked extensively with site modeling and I would suggest that you use hardscapes. Not only do you then get data rich information modeling with the hardscape but you can also use it as a site modifier.

In this way you don't have to have duplicate objects thereby reducing the potential for errors and omissions. Also you want to look at long curves carefully. When using a site modifier or hardscape they calculate in a straight line and if the arc is sharp or long enough you will not always get the result you are looking for. To resolve this I have found that breaking these situations into smaller arcs or segments.

Hope this helps in your efforts.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...