Wall elevations

inbinder

I normally do more AV schematic stuff and some electrical risers, however, I've been asked to redo this PDF and put it into vectorworks with some minor changes. I can't snap to it (scan has no vector information) which I don't think is that big of a problem. I just don't understand if I should try to draw regular lines and fill them in or use walls etc. Does anyone have any suggestions? When I try and use walls I really have no idea what I'm doing. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 3.28.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 3.36.25 PM.png

Edited by inbinder
image clarity

Ahh - don't you just hate being asked to "quickly draw this up.." The assumption being that all the work is there for you and it'll only take 5mins!

This is 2D work - I don't think you should be contemplating 'walls'. Keep it simple drafting, using lines and areas of hatched solids to denote the materials used.

Then add clean notation.

So...

The PDF looks like a poor scan. You could skew the drawing to a correct vertical, but probably more work than necessary - its near enough.

I think I would first make sure the pdf had a relative scale that suits your work. Use Scale Object - Symmetric By Distance (using one of the given dims - the bigger reference distance the better the result will be) to remedy the overall 'look'. At least is is now a reasonable reference image.

Then start drawing on a new layer above using a mix of the given dims and some deft scaling you should be able to reproduce fairly quickly. Don't have layers set to Show/Snap/Modify. Just Show should suffice.

Turning off the image by layer visibility will offer a 'clean' peek at your work as it proceeds.

Timer starts ......................NOW

Hope that helps.

@Gadzooks, Yes that helps. Hopefully, I can bang this out quickly. 

1) I can't quite get the same finish. Any suggestion on hatched solids?

2) Despite rotating it, it's not quite square on the design layer. I'm a few degrees skewed despite trying to rotate +/-  a degree or two. 

Edited by inbinder
2 hours ago, inbinder said:

I can't quite get the same finish.

Don't copy - make it your own!! Your notation will say what it is.

Any suggestion on hatched solids?

Unless the intention is to use a prescribed 'standard' hatches, use a hatch or perhaps a tile pattern that conveys the material. EG theres a standard tile for solid insulation already in VW. You might want to use?

971525334_ScreenShot2018-08-24at17_09_13.thumb.png.bc496952f2640f58f33e9429a66ae0e6.png

it's not quite square on the design layer

Well you have two problems actually - by the looks of it the two sections should be the same height as they are through the same wall but at different points. You might want to draw the left hand one first and then use 'construction lines' to piece the right hand one together. Or you can duplicate and go for resizing the scan again on that layer. 

I'd go for the first option as they must be the same.

As for the rotation - I don't think theres much in it, but I make the required rotation 0.37º (anti)

Use Modify > Rotate

1128825462_ScreenShot2018-08-24at17_25_01.thumb.png.22599c240273d9e62ecc48a49b73aa45.png

But really the scan is poor (thats why someone wants it redrawing!!) and theres probably other areas that are now sightly off. What do they say? - you can't polish **** (no doubt you know the phrase.)

Hope this helps - lets see the finished section.