Simple frustrating publishing problem

MartinFahrer

Question

Does this happen to anyone else?

I change the name in an existing file to publish (ie change the date on the saved file to stay organized)  When I go to publish, it publishes under the old name.  I publish a second time (changing nothing) and the name is correct, without changing anything in the settings, yes I save as overwriting the original.  It's all wasting time that the publishing option was meant to save. This is not a file naming length issue.  I am saving it on my desktop and well under the 260 characters.

It's a real pain because the extra step takes time, I have to be careful I don't overwrite the old file and save it in another folder (taking time).  Then I have to go back and delete the file that is updated but named wrong.  This started happening 2 updates ago.

Below are the steps numbered 1 to 6.

1 publish.JPG

2 publish change.JPG

3 Publishing.JPG

5 first save.JPG

6 Result.JPG

Edited by MartinFahrer

10 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Martin,

Make sure you have your 'Document Preferences'->'Use automatic drawing coordination' turned on.

I think what is happening here, is that you have this option off and updating the sheet layer information is not getting updated in the TBB on that layer. When you publish for the first time, the sheet number is extracted from the TBB and that is why it is outdated. During the publish, you have selected to reset the plugin objects and this causes the TBB to update with the correct information and that is why, on the next publish, you have correct information.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

4 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello Martin,

Make sure you have your 'Document Preferences'->'Use automatic drawing coordination' turned on.

I think what is happening here, is that you have this option off and updating the sheet layer information is not getting updated in the TBB on that layer. When you publish for the first time, the sheet number is extracted from the TBB and that is why it is outdated. During the publish, you have selected to reset the plugin objects and this causes the TBB to update with the correct information and that is why, on the next publish, you have correct information.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

OK I will try that, because I use A and B and my drawigns are sometimes coordinated with hand drafting I manually put in the sheet numbers and using that used to give me frustrations with the drawing label toolautomatically numbering using a differnt system I use and the carpenters are used to.

Thanks for the feed back I will report back how it works out.

On 8/24/2018 at 3:20 AM, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello Martin,

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Nope no affect on the problem, still have to publish twice, only now I am getting annoying "Viewport name is already being used" error.

Below is attached what is happening in still photos.  I am always having to publish twice, it won't save the correct name in the proper folder.  It did not do this before.  If I take the time to rename the folder instead of letting VWorks automatically name it and save it in the proper space I might as well save it twice and not take the time to type out the name.

VW used to save it proper name in the proper folder the first time, otherwise what is the point of publishing.  I shouldn't have to name a new folder each revision or each time I save it.  That is why I save with unique names and set up each sheet with a unique name and number.   

It's all about NOT adding steps and having the program work as it should.  IT was working before, is this a bug with the latest update??

1_a1cOORDINATION ON.jpg

1_a2 CHANGED.jpg

2_b OLD.jpg

3_cREMOVED.jpg

3a_REPLACED.jpg

4_PUBLISHED.jpg

5_OLDNAME.jpg

6_2ND PUBLISH.jpg

7_Folder.JPG

8_export.jpg

Edited by MartinFahrer
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Do you have Automatic Drawing Coordination turned on for the Title Block Border in the Sheet Layer?

This is a bug, but, as you can see from my screen recording, I am not able to reproduce it, so I suppose that we are doing some different steps in between. That is why I wanted you to follow exactly my steps from the screen recording and let me know if you still have the issue or not.

I have found the answer the problems is in the Update in AVG that automatically quarantined files trying to be written by a program in the desktop or on your computer.  I switched from automatic to ask, then set a rule to always allow Vectorworks.  Must be an update in my AVG.  At first I thought it was the Acrobat start up I put to sleep but I was wrong.

• Like 1