Can't select polygons with Hatch or Tile fills.

Patrick West

Question

Anyone have tips on selecting polygons in top/plan view that have a hatch or tile fill?

I am trying to hatch different floor materials by simply overlaying a polygon with a fill. Only wan I can select said polygons is from their edges, but those become buried by the walls.

Then I can't select the face of the polygon once I apply some hatches and tile fills.

I can still hide wall classes to then select edges of said polygons but this a very cumbersome workaround to what should be a non-issue.

thanks

5 answers to this question

On 5/9/2019 at 5:28 AM, Jeremy Best said:

The inability to select some objects by their fill/area is a bug that will fixed in the upcoming Vectorworks 2020.

For those sticking with 2019 it will not be fixed?

Interpolating from the last five years of user experience, if I update to 2020 when it is launched, this particular bug might be fixed but I get a gazillion new bugs and have to wait until SP5, then the leftover bugs will be fixed in 2021, the new 2021 bugs are there...etc... 

😋

On 5/11/2019 at 5:31 PM, JMR said:

For those sticking with 2019 it will not be fixed?

As I understand it, stating when a bug will be fixed is a combination of guesstimation (of how many hours it will take to identify a cause and the number of hours to fix it), priority (how many people are affected and how badly) and of scheduling (allocating the limited number of hours allotted to various programming work). If this issue becomes more prominent then perhaps the work schedule for it will be adjusted. 

On 5/11/2019 at 5:31 PM, JMR said:

Interpolating from the last five years of user experience, if I update to 2020 when it is launched, this particular bug might be fixed but I get a gazillion new bugs and have to wait until SP5, then the leftover bugs will be fixed in 2021, the new 2021 bugs are there...etc...

Yes, I totally understand your experience. This is unfortunately the reality of all software and you have the choice to wait for SP3/SP4/SP5 before upgrading and delaying your adoption of new advantages, or upgrade early, accommodate bugs and benefit from the new advantages sooner.

Every computer user will benefit from knowing and accepting that there is no such thing as bug-free software and that while programmers work hard to make everything work as well as they can with the resources allocated to them, I say the most realistic and effective solution for anyone using a computer is to EXPECT to encounter bugs and get good at reporting them and to become increasingly clever at working around them. 

Well, I was partially joking, but seriously speaking, the number and severity of bugs is what matters. Not  all software packages are equally buggy when released. Some are better and some are worse, of course. The quality or complexity of code is not a physical constant. Everyone who has used several cad packages for several years knows this.