Grouping objects

Holding down the Shift key while you click on objects will either add or remove them from the current selection.

Once you have the objects you want selected, Modify menu, Group will make a group out of them.

You can edit the objects in the group by using Modify:Edit Group to enter the group. There is an option in the Preference to show objects that are not in the group to to hide objects that are not in the group. Click the Exit Group button at the top right of the window to get back to the drawing.

If you have an object you need to add into a group, you can CUT the object from the layer, EDIT the group and then PASTE IN PLACE to get it into the group in the same relative location.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
4 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I tend to Ungroup (command-U), shift-click to deselect the object/s I want to remove, then command-G to regroup the remaining selected objects

The downside with that method is that regrouping objects puts them on top. I often group objects so that I can send them all to the back or to the front so the sit in front or behind everything else. e.g. I sometimes use 2d polys with fills to show floor finishes. I will group all the polys and send them to the back.

• 1 month later...

And, in any case, you can replace any selected Objects by a Symbol.

Just that it will place the Symbols with their insertion point, only at the

geometric center of the former objects.

Which may need a small location change of the Symbols position

after conversion.

But still very handy if you get files/imports in, where no Symbols/Blocks/Cells

where used before when creating.

• Like 1