Tree size

ed209

Hi,

Just started using VW as Chief Architect isn't very good for site plans. I'm having so many issues it's insane, but the one I'm assuming is easiest to fix is simply changing the size of the trees in the plant tool. I've clicked on "edit" but it just drags part of the tree away and makes that bigger. Any ideas?

Thanks.

@ed209 Hi. Welcome to the forum!

Depending on what you are trying to do, there are at least two approaches.  This is common with Vectorworks.  Lots of ways to get where you want to go:

Some background:

A.  A Vectorworks Plant is a resource (available in the Resource Manager) which is derived from its Plant Definition. Vectorworks has a giant library of generic plants and species specific plants and trees.  The Plant Definition is comprised of:

•  A symbol containing the 2d and 3d graphics that appear on the drawing,

• The plant data attached to the symbol (common & scientific names, coloration, etc),

• Controls for insertion, rendering, size and placement options, etc (count, spacing, density, randomization,  . . .) of the symbols.

The various elements of any plant definition can be edited.  User created plant definitions can be added to the plant list.

B. To experiment, open a new vwx drawing file and work in that.  Click to acitvate the plant tool. Choose from the pull down menu a plant you want to place (eg the BET or Basic Evergreen Tree), and click several times in the drawing area to place some trees. Your drawing now contains several instances of the plant symbol.

Now to change the size(s):

1.   To change (customize) the spread (overall diameter) and/or height of a single instance or a selection of instances already placed on the drawing:

• Select the plant(s) you want to resize.

• In the OIP, click the Plant Settings bar (near the top of OIP).

• The Plant Settings dialog box opens.

• Click the Size tab on left side of the dialog.

• Click the Custom Spread or Custom Height button.

• Key in desired parameter(s) in Spread and/or Height fields.

• Click OK at bottom of dialog to accept the new value(s) and exit the dialog.

Result: The selected plant(s) is/are resized to the new values.  If the plant symbol has both 2d and 3d components, both the 2d and 3d components of the selected plant(s) will be resized to the new value(s) in the drawing area.  A plant instance can be resized as often as desired.

2.  To change the spread and/or height of ALL  non customized instances of a particular type of plant, those already on the drawing, and future instances, the Plant Definition must be edited:

•  Select an instance of the plant on the drawing & click the Plant Definition bar located about midpoint of the OIP

. . .OR . . .

Right click the plant symbol icon in the Symbols tab of the Resource Manager & choose the Edit Definition option.

•  The Plant Definition Dialog box opens.

•  Click the Insertion Options tab from list at left side of the dialog.

•  Adjust the Spread and Height values as desired.

• Click OK button at lower right side to accept the new values and exit the dialog.

Result: Non custom instances of that plant already on the drawing will resize to new values.  Customized instances will retain their custom values. Instances of this plant placed in future will display the new values.

Post again if more info needed

-B

• Like 3

@ed209 I assume by your screen name that you are Robo Cop Fan! Me too!

What kind of training have you had with the site planning tools and as "Architect" is that as a Landscape Architect or simply Architect? I ask as I provide training and support internationally for just this kind of situation. Enjoy your holiday! Cheers!