Teaser Tuesday - Image Effects - Vectorworks 2019

Looks pretty cool! A couple of questions -

1. Are the saved Image Effects resources?
  2. Can you use them on images that are part of textures?

And a couple of wishes for the future -

1. Can you add an image alpha function?
  2. Can you add a gradient option (directional)?
  3. Can you add a vignette option?

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi, @Kevin McAllister, let's see if I can address some of those. As for the questions,

1.  No, they are not resources. That said, you can apply image effects to image resources in the resource manager.
  2.  You sure can! You can apply image effects to RenderWorks textures and RenderWorks backgrounds, again through the resource manager.

We always love to hear feature requests. Of course, much like a secret agent I can neither confirm nor deny anything, but keep the good ideas coming! I will say that you can manage a pretty decent vignette effect with crops, soft edges, and optional sepia.

• Like 2

Great new tool that has the potential to save a lot of time. Awesome!

One question right off the bat: why was "Hue" not included as a slider? (Unless I'm blind and it's in there somewhere...) This would honestly be the slider I'd use the most, so it's disappointing to not see it there.

Although it probably doesn't make much sense to adjust overall Hue of a rendered viewport, if you think about image-based textures this could be VERY useful. Quite often I have to Extract Images from a texture, bring them into Photoshop, adjust the Hue to get a different "color" of the same thing, then re-import. 

Here are a few textures in a file I'm working on right now where using a Hue slider would be applicable:

2036989989_ScreenShot2018-08-21at9_35_15AM.thumb.png.04c4cfdecca53aad32ec50e48c1a6f8e.png1387112778_ScreenShot2018-08-21at9_35_07AM.thumb.png.b2ed1198103509573cb1c328a493bcfe.png833200513_ScreenShot2018-08-21at9_34_57AM.thumb.png.fdca9d9a371c29aa7b9f5647253f0ef4.png1550884939_ScreenShot2018-08-21at9_34_49AM.thumb.png.517c84791a7a71efc7afdebd00c00f04.png1899731478_ScreenShot2018-08-21at9_34_37AM.thumb.png.ddfb7616e37364997835ce654b8fb2a2.png1350436185_ScreenShot2018-08-21at9_34_30AM.thumb.png.9a3b78363f4cd4a031a0eba1d58013b5.png618693984_ScreenShot2018-08-21at9_34_17AM.thumb.png.1e9ee666563c23e8c40a9cee96b33407.png

For example,

857758951_ScreenShot2018-08-21at9_39_10AM.thumb.png.daaadfd013cc3705a0ee25b0f7882ffc.png changes hue to this 515438163_ScreenShot2018-08-21at9_41_35AM.thumb.png.b74804c30429780190c935e6a1ce6f39.png or any other color lens.

Hopefully this gives a sense of the types of images Hue would be useful on, and I hope it can be added in before 2019's release.

• Like 4

This is absolutely massive, and really appreciate the interest in adding Sleep back into the Eat + Design equation. Can't wait till the triumphant return of volumetric lighting next Tuesday! 😉

Would love to see some of the other key features found in Lightroom like:

• Tone curve
  • Vignette (a slider not a multi-step workaround)
  • Noise (actually adding noise instead of reducing it... to help with the uncanny valley)

Also, as @zoomer suggested: numerical controls in addition to the slider.

Edited by Mark Aceto

This really could be a great improvement - can't wait to use it.

Quick question - do Image Effects work on imported PDFs?  I sometimes find myself importing scrappy old PDFs to trace.  It would be great if I can reduce the contrast to remove some of the feinter lines for example.

Also - if I convert a VWX 2019 file to VWX 2018 - are the adjustments lost or retained but with no further adjustment possible?

• Like 1

First of all, to everyone suggesting new features, I can't comment except to say, thanks, and keep them coming!

@Andrew Davies , no, image effects don't work on imported PDFs, just images, OpenGL and RenderWorks viewports, RenderWorks backgrounds, and RenderWorks textures for now. Also, on exporting to VWX2018, the adjustments are lost.

20 hours ago, Andrew Davies said:

Quick question - do Image Effects work on imported PDFs?

What @zsarver said. However: You can ungroup a PDF and the source bitmap image can then be altered. You do lose PDF snapping at this point, so it's definitely a worthy improvement request.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, zsarver said:

no, image effects don't work on imported PDFs, just images, OpenGL and RenderWorks viewports, RenderWorks backgrounds, and RenderWorks textures for now.

So currently only Viewports.

Not when View Pane OpenGL, Rendering+Image Saving.

Not a big problem, just that I get it right.

But it sounds interesting if we could also use that just to adjust

our modeling view panes to our liking or taste.

For working or Screen Shot adjustments.

:)

Also things like Vignette or Bloom aren't very urgent for me,

it is just that with current popular fashion, you don't see any Renderings without

Bloom effect, Vignette, Lens Flare, Volumetric lighting, Fog, ....

And as I already use image adjustments in C4D image manager from time to time

for my renderings, if all such effects are available as non-destructive effects to

overlay, I would make more use of them too.

For rendered viewports it would be great if you could use these adjustment features by texture. Sometimes one texture comes out oversaturated etc. and if you could just adjust this and not the whole image it would ideal. It is maybe the next step and would bring Vectorworks capability more inline with other rendering programs.

On 8/27/2018 at 3:12 PM, ccsw said:

For rendered viewports it would be great if you could use these adjustment features by texture. Sometimes one texture comes out oversaturated etc. and if you could just adjust this and not the whole image it would ideal. It is maybe the next step and would bring Vectorworks capability more inline with other rendering programs.

It looks like effectively you can do this by using image effects on the image used in that texture resource.

It would be great if over time this expanded into a greater range of editing options for things like texture images and backgrounds - scaling, rotation and so on. It's certainly very laborious when you have to go out of VW to do a small tweak, then re-save it, then re-import it to the resource, and so on.

This looks like a useful improvement - good work.

Now, can we have something similar to edit linework viewports please! If it were possible to selectively remove lines in the output of hidden line render views, or top/plan viewports, that would be amazing - especially if it could be done non-destructively.