Sheet border Tool on Sheet Layers

Without getting into to much detail here I would like to see how others are going about this.  I have had some success in creating a cutom title block per the VW Help guide.

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2017/eng/index.htm#t=VW2017_Guide%2FSetup%2FAdding_a_Title_Block.htm&rhsearch=Title Block border&rhsyns=

My question here is how many are using this automation aspect of the Rev block attaching records and so forth?  My primary concern here is all the connectivity and automation involved in something so simple like a revision block.   

I don't want to get entrenched into a system that takes more time to manage than it does to just simply create some txt and lines as rev block and just change text as needed.  Only to find out that tool or feature will change in the next version.

Sometimes simple just works. Text and lines never "lose functionality" regardless of the version or updates.

Hoping to hear from some others on the way they approach there border title setup on a sheet view. Also feel free to list postives and negatives in your workflow.

1 hour ago, HEengineering said:

Only to find out that tool or feature will change in the next version.

Given that you're using VW2017 (at the least the help link is from VW2017), everything will change when you upgrade to VW2018 or newer. The Sheet Border tool was replace but the Title Block Border tool in VW2018 and the implementation requires that you update your old title blocks. The new tool has gone through significant growing pains and will likely change again in VW2019.

Kevin

I use 2017-2019.  In this case I was going w VW 2017  as it seemed to be the most stable of all for the things we use.  

What you stated is where the problem lies.  We are dealing with 100's of sites and tight timeless, I need things to consistently work wo question, I dont have the luxury of fiddling around with new tools all the time. The idea that I would have to learn a new tool over 2-3 years in a row for something like a rev block seems just impractical to me but I also have yet to go down this road to see the benefit.  This approach at times can leave you with hours of effort only to find out it actually doesn't fit our needs.

I have seen the preset borders with Rev blocks and had no issue implementing those but we have a border we have been using for years that people have come to know.  I see that I can replicate our old "dumb" border into the title block tool as a symbol for selection.  

The question I guess I have is can I make our Rev block look as it always has but potentially now edit it thru object into? Or can I leave it as text without worrying about whether it will work with every upgrade? If its just text to be edited in place  is it best right on the sheet layer or as a VP from A DL?

There comes a point where you get a little discouraged when you find that something as simple as a title block has so much info to digest to even get a rough understanding of where to go.  In addition there are many ways to do things in VW, often you can get too far down the path before realizing the repercussions.

1 hour ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Given that you're using VW2017 (at the least the help link is from VW2017), everything will change when you upgrade to VW2018 or newer. The Sheet Border tool was replace but the Title Block Border tool in VW2018 and the implementation requires that you update your old title blocks. The new tool has gone through significant growing pains and will likely change again in VW2019.

Kevin

What makes you think it will change again in 2019?  Just curious?

so upon the received suggestions I fiddled around with 18 and it was a bit more intuitive but still very confusing.  Editing a title block or customizing it shouldn't be this involved.

Which brings me to my next question. What happens if I were to simply "draw a dumb border right on the sheet layer? Is there any consequence to this other than losing functionality that would come with the tool?

Reason I ask is when I attempted to edit a custom border it seemed like some fields I couldn't edit or weren't edited in the same locations within the tool OIP settings and others were actually edited in the border itself.

I spent a few hours chasing my tail before I gave up and moved onto other work. I dont consider myself a novice with this program either.  Should be able to drop a border add the field you want and go.  Im sure is much easier once you work thru it, but that first attempt can be a bit frustrating.