Radius Dimension Tool problems....

tgm

I am set to dimension a large radius segment with the External Radius Dimension Mode which should put the leader and the dimension outside the object, so the manual states.....

Well in fact here's what I get.. If you select the radii to be dimensioned and you put the crosshair just inside the object that's where the dimension gets placed, works every time, wrong but consistent.

If you set the crosshair on the object or just outside the object you have a 50/50 chance of getting the dimension to be external, where it should be. I have redone untold dimensions due to this fault. Anyone else had this problem??

I am on WinXP at the moment.

Comments anyone?????????

Tom in PA

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I think the manual does not explain this very well. In this mode, it will always put the arrow on the outside, but the rest of the dimension won't always be on the outside. After your first click, which should be on the arc outline or inside of it (if the arc is filled), to get the entire dimension to be outside, you need to move the mouse to be outside of the arc, and then do the second click.

Thanks for the reply Bruce.

The method you describe will not work for me. I can click and hold to set the dimension and then drag the cursor and the arrow/leader and then release the mouse button and that works OK so far. That I can work with. You are correct in that the manual does not state method clearly at all.

Thanks again.

Tom in PA

• 16 years later...