Rhino to Vectorworks

nikolas

Question

9 answers to this question

10 hours ago, rjtiedeman said:

Export from RHINO as a parasolids (x_t) file or STEP file. See this link from RHINO home site. You might try others there are many options. I would start with the 2 I mentions. I have had good results with both.

https://www.rhino3d.com/formats

Design series versions of VW have native Rhino import and export.

On 8/16/2018 at 12:52 PM, nikolas said:

surfaces or polysurfaces  and convert them to walls, floors, roofs?

I'm guessing this is the part of your question that isn't getting answered. There aren't conversion options for creating parametric objects in the VW Rhino import/export dialogs. Only a few import options recognize this type of conversion (Sketchup?). I don't think there are internal VW tools to do the conversion after the fact either. Most of the internal tools create parametric objects from 2d polylines/polygons not from 3d curves/surfaces/solids.

Kevin

Dear Kevin and rjtiedeman, 

thanks you a lot for your answers. 

What I'm thinking of, is to create a workflow between Rhino (modelling)  to Vectorworks (architecture planning). 

More specific, if I create a freeform surface in Rhino could I converted it at Vectorworks on a wall with specific characteristics and fit to it doors, windows, etc?

Nikolas

7 minutes ago, nikolas said:

What I'm thinking of, is to create a workflow between Rhino (modelling)  to Vectorworks (architecture planning). 

More specific, if I create a freeform surface in Rhino could I converted it at Vectorworks on a wall with specific characteristics and fit to it doors, windows, etc?

Hi Nikolas,

I don't think this is possible. Parametric walls in VW are very geometric (eg. they don't lean and only simple curves are allowed). You could cut openings in your geometry manually and still use door and window objects.

Kevin