scale problem with imported file

olgab

Question

Hey, I have tried so many options and nothing solve my problem, so I hope you will be able to help me. I am new to Vectorworks but only this scale\import issue makes me totally lost.

First of all, I got a dwg file which in print is saved to 1:1000 on long A2 paper.

When I am importing it to Vectorworks, and trying to draw borders (property lines), the object info shows it has for example: 2 cm border (where it should be 2km)

Does anyone of you has an idea how shall I import the file to make it works? So when I draw a border it will shows units that are there in "reality"?
Later, the problem is getting more complicated, because when I want to build a land model using stakes and I put the elevation values and render the landform is ridiculously high compared to its x and y values (which are treated as mm)... I would be gratefull for any suggestions, as I can work further wihout this basics.

3 answers to this question

Hi, Olgab - Welcome to the forum!

The following assumes the import occurs in a blank vwx file - no previously created geometry.

Note that typically, additional dwg imports in this vwx file will create a new layer. One new layer for each import.

Also note that it’s risky to import into a project file!  Best practice is to import into a new blank vwx “shuttle file” or import each dwg file into a separate new, blank vwx file.  Get scale, etc. right in the import file, then, if needed, shuttle the imported geometry into the vwx project file via reference or copy/paste.

Just a guess, but you may have chosen km for your import (because that's your preferred scale?) when the dwg file was actually created in cm.  VWX scans the dwg and shows how it interprets the dwg units in top section of import dialog. vwx usually gets it right.  Lower in the dialog is the section to show the imported geometry on the vwx page.  Choose your intended scale if you know how the geometry will fit on the page you are using.  DWG file should then import as desired.

If it didn’t import as desired, you have two choices regarding correct dimensions/scale.

• Delete everything and Reimport (or start with a new, blank vwx file) with different import dialog parameters based on what you found in the first import.

• Or, rescale the imported geometry in the vwx file so it has correct dimension/scale. Here’s one way:
  1.  Measure an imported object with known dimension in the existing import to determine required scale factor.  Eg factor of 100,000 to scale up 1cm to 1km.
  2. No need to select anything. Or some objects can be selected.
  3. Modify (up in the vwx menu bar)>Scale Objects>Symmetrical
  4. Enter the scale factor (from step 1 above)
  5. Enable options for Scale Text and Scale Entire Drawing (this will be checked and gray if nothing selected)
  6. Click OK to accept and exit the Scale dialog.
  7. A second dialog may appear asking if you are sure you want to rescale the entire drawing.  
  8. Accept.
  9. Wait while the drawing rescales.
 10. Test/measure to verify things area correctly scaled. Rescale again as needed.

If this doesn't help or doesn't work, continue asking here. We'll figure it out.

-B 

DWGTestA1.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
language
  • Like 2

Hey Benson,

So I worked it trough somehow. I came back to my CAD (dwg file) and I exported ONLY the model without a presentation sheet (I am not sure what is it called in vwx cause I am using polish version) and after many trials (I have tried scalling objects but my file is huuuuuuuge and my computer is not enough for operations like this one and it shot down, and as well I tried many scale and units options...) it worked!

So for me the solution was:

scale 1:1 (as the dwg files are usually like that)

units: meter (as I got 50mm where I should have 50m in scale 1:1)

As I am undesrtanding this well now, I hope that now, when I will create presentation sheet in A2 size I will use the scale 1:1000 and it shoud fit? Am I right? or beacuse those are not cm but m I should use 1:100000... (?)

Not sure why vwx suggested mm but I am happy worked it trough.

happy, its not a problem at the moment...

Now I can explore more... and I am spending second day on drawing thousands of stakes to create land model... such a long way before me.

Thank you Benson for support. Honestly, knowing that somebody is around to help makes me feel I can do it somehow :)

I am new, and I am a self learner*... so I will have MANY questions... but I have learned this way many stuff (PS, Illustrator, Premiere, After Effect, Cad, SketchUp, Android Studio etc.) So I hope this awesome programme will help me take my projects to the next level).

*with a lil help ;)

Hi, Olgab - Glad you made the import work.

Some things you should know about Vectorworks.

Hopefully you have discovered most of this already.

Vectorworks Design Layer = AutoCAD Model Space

Vectorworks Sheet Layer = AutoCAD Paper Space

Vectorworks Viewport = AutoCAD VPORT

English version of Vectorworks Help has a list of ACAD/Vectorworks equivalent terms . Not sure about Polish version of Vectorworks Help. Here's the link to English version:

Vectorworks Design Layers can be user defined at any scale.  Layer scale of any layer can be changed by user at any time (Edit in Organization or Navigation Palette). This does not change the dimension or relative position of the objects shown.  What does change is the way line weights are displayed and whether the objects fit within the intended page size. Common practice is to set layer scale to same scale as intended viewports.  This way while working in a design layer, the page border can be toggled on/off to show whether the site plan will fit in the page and the line weights will look same as the line weights in a corresponding sheet layer viewport.  Vectorworks (edit 08/21/18) design layer scale objects are always calculated at 1:1 scale, but are displayed on screen at layer scale of choice. The layer scales in the drawing do not all have to be same scale. There are advantages to having related layers (example site and building model layers) in same scale because they are often displayed together in 3d views.  The Unified View feature (in the View menu) allows design layers to display and respond properly together to 3d view changes.  Design Layers displayed in different scales would not seem correct.

OK, there is lots to learn. Post any questions here as needed.  Forum participants will help.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
language
  • Like 1
  • Love 1