Quatrefoil windows?

michaelk

Anybody have a good method of putting quatrefoil windows in round walls?

Trying to do one that is a quatrefoil shape inset into the wall, not a molding applied to the wall.  I've tried putting a simple multiple extrude converted to a generic solid in the 3D Wall Hole Component.

It works, but it brings VW to a crawl.

Anybody got a better way?

Kevin

I actually tried other geometry first.  EAPs wouldn't render at all, but extrudes would.  So I tried a multiple extrude.  It worked, but slowed the drawing way down.  Converting to a generic solid didn't help.

I actually suspect it's a problem with the walls being round.  It's the same project where I discovered this bug.  I haven't had time to experiment, but I suspect it would be better if I used a straight wall or didn't have a window that was in a position on the round wall that triggers this bug.

Maybe I just need to talk the client into a square tower 🙂

2 minutes ago, michaelk said:

Ha!  User error.  I changed the 3D wall hole component from a multiple extrude to a generic solid in one of the quatrefoil window symbols.  

Just not the one I was using.

The generic solid still had more vertices than necessary.  Lofted it and it's better.

Ha I was just about to try making one myself to test it out 🙂

Glad you found a solution. The round wall / window at 0 degree thing is almost certainly a bug. It may be related to how Vectorworks draws circles since I've had issues crossing the zero point with other geometry too.

Kevin