Dimension Symbols

AceRoehrborn

Question

I am struggling to get some dimensions working.  I am using hybrid or 3d symbols to construct stage drawings.  I am then creating viewports on sheets for the various plates I need to print.  The problem is I can't seem to get the dimensions on the sheet layer to attach to the symbols.  The result is when i make a change to the location of the symbols on my drawing layer the dimensions don't update on the sheet layer.  

How do I get the dimensions to attach to the symbols and or dynamically update?

I should note that if I attach the dimension to a standard object (line, square etc..) those dimensions get a little green square and do update correctly.

Thanks for any advice.

2 answers to this question

The fact of the matter is that it is not really possible using Sheet layers and 3D objects. 

This has long been wish listed here. Sorry to disappoint with your first post. Some others may have another view, but I've never had any success and I believe the received wisdom is that it can't.

Very happy if anybody can say otherwise.

Mark

• Like 1

^ What markdd said. There are some stupid workarounds (none fully functional), but first some blather:

• Dimensions associate only with 2d objects (see the hint in Document Prefs>Dimensions).
  • Dimension objects in a VP annotation space do not associate unless the VP is set to Top Plan.
  • Every object drawn on a sheet layer or in the annotation space of a sheet layer viewport is a screen plane object, or at least behaves same as a screen plane object.
  • Sheet layer Dims to not "follow" the view when changing VP to iso or other 3d view, but . . .
  • Strangely and uselessly, Annotation space dims properly created/associated with 2d objects in TopPlan remain associated when the VP view is changed to 3d.  The dim snap points are no longer aligned with the Design Layer object (these dims are screen plane objects, so do not move or change perspective as the view changes), but the two way functionality remains - In the Annotation space, change the dim value (dbl click the dim or use OIP) to change the 2d object's size. Or, in the Design Layer, change the 2d object's size and the Dim in the annotation updates.

OK, a partially functional workaround:

• Create a new dimension class (duplicate the original or create a whole new class). Name it DimsDL or similar. Enable Use at Creation. Assign pen color red or other to differentiate from standard dims. This can be changed later as desired.
  • In the Design Layer (DL) set a view that will correspond to a likely VP view you will use.
  • Set the drawing plane to Layer. When hovering over 3d planes, the Automatic plane will be available.
  • Draw dimensions of the 3d objects (in the DL) and change their class to the new DimsDL class. Apply the Dim tool in Unconstrained mode.  Cursor cues will indicate z direction when needed.
  • These dims "move" appropriately with view changes but are not associated. They do not update when the object sizes are edited - unless snapped to 2d objects in TopPlan. So if a 3d object is resized, the dim needs to be adjusted, too.
  • But, the class can be turned off which makes them disappear as needed from the DL, but they can be made visible in the VP via the class overrides.
  • If you have several 3d views, with objects obscuring the dims, several new DL classes might be necessary (DimsDL StageLeft, DimsDL StageRight, etc) which means managing visibilities.
  • See? Stupid workaround that doesn't really work.

There might also be some worksheet way of doing this where object names and dims are indicated as generic text labels with on the DL (eg Scrim1 H, Scrim1 W, Scrim1 L each with attached record),  the worksheet shows Scrim1 H = 20', etc. The z and other values can be adjusted on the drawing, in the worksheet, in the OIP record pane. But I never worked out how to do that.

Lets keep associated 3d dims in the wish list!

-B

Dims Associate.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
adverb
  • Like 2