Beginning to use and understand "Sheets"

I am about to explore the use of sheets, before I do is there any tips and traps for the newby.

The first thing I have a question about is :

If I have the "master" drawing and then I create a sheet which has some different elements to it and I then go back and add someting to the master drawing it will also update this new detail on the sheet drawing as well, is this correct ?

Any tricks or tips to using sheets please?

thanks

Viper x on 10.5

Thanks Peter, yes I mean saved sheets.

Going through the process of needing to split a large drawing in 3 sections using masking and then printing them individually is what has brought me to saved sheets.

Unfortunately I ran out of time and had to save the 3 drawings as individual files before I could practice using saved sheets, this is fine but after I had done a test print (before I printed a tender set of 50 A1 drawings)I had to make some additions which meant I had to visit the base plan of each of the 3 saved drawings,

As I read it if I had of saved the 3 drawings with their masking as saved sheets I could then just have made the required changes to the master drawing and the sheets would have updated as well. That is correct is it not ?

This is a great feature and something I will now practice and learn.

So before I get stuck into using saved sheets there is no quirks I should be aware of ?

thanks

Viper x

Hi Chris,

I am thinking of upgrading shortly but I am nervous about jumping off a stable 10.5 into the unknown of 11 especially as there seems to be a number of worrying issues with 11 on this forum at the moment, especially with such a fundamental as speed.

After, as a novice being burnt badly whilst going through the sometimes very frustrating jorurney of 10 from the day it was released until it became stable I am naturally full of [Eek!] when considering leaving 10 behind !

Viper, Since you say you are using version 10.5, I assume you are talking about "saved sheets" (and not "sheet layers" which are only available in version 11xx). If that is correct, then it's very simple: saved sheets are merely a way of "remembering" a specific, user-defined visibilty matrix made up of layers and/or classes. Because of this the answer to your question is "yes". Anything you add to one of the visible layers/classes will be there in your saved sheets. You can also edit saved sheets to add or delete layers or classes (in case you add something later that is in a new class for instance).

i would not worry about leaving vW10 behind. I have not missed VW10 at all. the new concepts of sheet layers and viewports makes the creation of drawings really easy, amost a pleasure!

Viewports allows you to create a drawing that shows different parts of the plan at different scales, and with different class settings for each viewport.

My opinion is that to use the power of the viewports you need to look at a new way of setting up your drawings. But when you do, you will find it a joy.

this imag

i would not worry about leaving vW10 behind. I have not missed VW10 at all. the new concepts of sheet layers and viewports makes the creation of drawings really easy, amost a pleasure!

Viewports allows you to create a drawing that shows different parts of the plan at different scales, and with different class settings for each viewport.

My opinion is that to use the power of the viewports you need to look at a new way of setting up your drawings. But when you do, you will find it a joy.

this image shows a drawing that was created with one model layer. the viewports have different scales, different classes turned on and off, and even different view directions.

-

For small shows I find sheets useful as "plates" The single drawing then holds the 10 plates to the show. - update the title of the file to the latest revised- and you know that you're sending out the full pack and that they are opening the full pack- with the latest date. There is also the benefit of having the whole project bundled in one file.

all those views were generated from one design layer, and there is only one sheet layer. If I change the layout of the kitchen of the deck, then all the viewports will be up to date.

Try making the two top left drawings on the same sheet, the show the same floor plan with different classes on each viewport.

Maybe you really need to see the file to appreciate the beauty of using ViewPorts to create drawings. Then you could see how the file was made...

Robert, do you want this file as an example of ViewPorts?

Just remember when you are adding new elements, especially with new class definitions, to add these classes to the saved sheets (edit the classes in the saved sheets), otherwise when you click back to a saved sheet, that class would automatically be set to invisible and the new objects don't show up. I/m not as familiar wuth the viewports yet, but you have to keep track of the class and layer visibility, especially when adding new ones. I have not found any issues with the speed of 11 (although I have not done any intricate plant designs yet in 11), except on occasion the object info box remains blank. It comes back properly when I restart the program.