New MacBook Pro any issues ?

Kurt M

Question

I recently purchased the new MacBook Pro with 6 core I7 processor, 4gb vram,  16 mb ram 😀 

I loaded vectoworks 2018 sp4 and things seem ok, but sometimes it quits when doing different operations.  Has Vectorworks found any known issues with this machine ?

9 answers to this question

Seems stable for last few days. I have been working on files that are stored on other computers in my office and or drop box without copying the file to the new computer, so perhaps maybe a network minor issue ?  The machine is very snappy & quick responding to input.  I was hoping it would be noticeably quicker on some of my more complex final quality  renderworks renderings since it has more ram, more vram, and a 6 core processor.  But on first comparison, not significantly faster. the one file I tested took a 1 hour 15 min on my old macbook pro  (mid 2012 ) and the new MacBook Pro took an 1hour.  Perhaps I can optimize the rendering parameters to increase the speed.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
13 minutes ago, Kurt M said:

I have been working on files that are stored on other computers in my office and or drop box without copying the file to the new computer, so perhaps maybe a network minor issue ?

Working over a network can definitely cause that, I refrain from doing so entirely.

13 minutes ago, Kurt M said:

I was hoping it would be noticeably quicker on some of my more complex final quality  renderworks renderings since it has more ram, more vram, and a 6 core processor.  But on first comparison, not significantly faster. the one file I tested took a 1 hour 15 min on my old macbook pro  (mid 2012 ) and the new MacBook Pro took an 1hour.  Perhaps I can optimize the rendering parameters to increase the speed.

Depends what phases of the render were taking the most of the overall time, if its sitting on "Geometry" for awhile, that can't be sped up very noticeably by the CPU, but if you post a screenshot/sample file I can take a look and offer some tips to shave render time off.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Before anything else, I recommend JUST disabling the Grass shader in your Renderworks style and try another render, I suspect that much grass would dramatically increase render time. I normally only use the grass shader on elements that are very close to the camera, rather than the entire site.

• Like 2