Andrew Mac

Creating a Site Model from a PDF survey

I was wondering if it were possible to create a site model from a PDF site survey.  if there were a how-to video or something?

I hand trace these all the time.  That way its all native vectorworks objects.  Imported survey stuff ends up with a zillion unwanted classes and potential weirdness from imported objects.  I have found that by theme I clean up all the unwanted stuff, I can just trace and get a clean file.  You want also modify contours to work better like lengthening or shorting them to work better with your DTM.  

Have you tried ungrouping the pdf once imported, if it has the vector data you would be left with editiable 2D lines in 1 group and an image file, giving you the basic geometry to use to add the 3D data. If it's an image based pdf then you're stuck with  manually tracing; if you have acces to illistrator you could try their autotrace feature and then import it into VW in a vector format.

• Like 1