Black magic egpu's and the 2018 mac book pro

DCLD

Dear Spotlight users, has anyone used the new 'Blackmagic eGPU' with the 2018 mac book pro? I am keen to know if it helps with graphics. It mentioned it helps speed up openGL.

I am sure there is a better place to post this but I do value the input of entertainment designers.

Many thanks

DC

Edited by DCLD
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Kevin, I run 2 external monitors from my 2018 15" MBP. I would like to know if egpu's may any difference to VW. If anyone has used one let me know.

There has been a lot of posts on VW being incredibly slow. This may be a way to fix this issue. 

best

DC

8 hours ago, DCLD said:

Thanks Kevin, I run 2 external monitors from my 2018 15" MBP. I would like to know if egpu's may any difference to VW. If anyone has used one let me know.

That's a pretty high end machine. I'm assuming you've turned off graphics switching (AppleMenu>SystemPreferences>EnergySaver control panel) so the machine always uses the high end card when you're working in VW. I know in another thread that someone said the difference was negligible. The EGPU uses the same card that's in the 5k iMac so the main difference would really be the amount of VRAM.

You could run Cinebench on your machine and compare the scores to the 5k iMac (there's a thread with scores). This may also shed some insight - https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/08/18/a-year-with-apples-5k-imac-still-the-best-mac-for-your-money .  It has a comparison between the 5k iMac and the 2018 MBP.

8 hours ago, DCLD said:

There has been a lot of posts on VW being incredibly slow. This may be a way to fix this issue. 

Is VW running incredibly slow for you? Much of this is also affected by workflow, the type of work you're doing, existing bugs etc.. There may be other solutions that aren't hardware based.

Kevin