Tips for numbering drawings (page numbers vs sheet numbers)

I have a question about numbering drawings in a way individuals who are not trained to understand sheet numbering can follow. For all of our projects we present our work to our exhibitions developers, educators, and or curator assigned to the project. I usually follow the USNCAD standard for sheet numbering. However, people seem to have a hard time following the sheet number system. They are usually either viewing them as a PDF or we print sets to present at our meetings. They get confused by the sheet numbers and just say something like, "look at page 6" as it is the 6th page but the sheet number might be 4.02 or something. Then everyone is fishing around for the right page "sheet" I've started adding a "page 00 0f 00 series to the title block for them to follow but I am not sure how to make that work with the automatic drawing coordination. Do I set up the page number in the sheet title or sheet number column of the sheet layer organization pallet? I'd like to keep the page numbers in normal numerical order and the sheet numbers to fit in with that. Is that possible? That way if I have to insert say, a 4.03 after a sheet into the set the page numbers "00 of 00"  stay in numerical order. Oh, and don't even get me started on when we have to break up the sets into pieces as what was once page 10 can become page 1. Since they can't read drawings I can't just leave them as is and follow the sheet numbers. Any tips?

52 minutes ago, nwfonseca said:

I have a question about numbering drawings in a way individuals who are not trained to understand sheet numbering can follow. For all of our projects we present our work to our exhibitions developers, educators, and or curator assigned to the project. I usually follow the USNCAD standard for sheet numbering. However, people seem to have a hard time following the sheet number system. They are usually either viewing them as a PDF or we print sets to present at our meetings. They get confused by the sheet numbers and just say something like, "look at page 6" as it is the 6th page but the sheet number might be 4.02 or something. Then everyone is fishing around for the right page "sheet" I've started adding a "page 00 0f 00 series to the title block for them to follow but I am not sure how to make that work with the automatic drawing coordination. Do I set up the page number in the sheet title or sheet number column of the sheet layer organization pallet? I'd like to keep the page numbers in normal numerical order and the sheet numbers to fit in with that. Is that possible? That way if I have to insert say, a 4.03 after a sheet into the set the page numbers "00 of 00"  stay in numerical order. Oh, and don't even get me started on when we have to break up the sets into pieces as what was once page 10 can become page 1. Since they can't read drawings I can't just leave them as is and follow the sheet numbers. Any tips?

I'm not sure there's an easy (automated) way to do this. From what you're describing it would make sense to use the "sheet number" field of your sheet layers to be your page numbers and make your "sheet numbers" (eg. 4.02) be a custom field in your title block. This is because the Title Block Border system in VW2018 has a field for counting active sheets (see image). Unfortunately this will mean having to manually renumber your "sheet number" fields if you insert a new sheet.

What your asking for could be a good wishlist item (and may already have been wished for). I think the way to achieve it would be for drawing co-ordination and the Title Block Border to be able to access the "stacking order" field for each sheet layer. That would return a true page number within a set every time.

Kevin

2098320165_ScreenShot2018-08-08at7_24_56AM.thumb.png.7d4844284fb58cb3339441943aa79319.png

Thanks for the reply. I still need to familiarize myself with drawing coordination. I've been using 2011 for 7 years now and didn't have the functionality. I'm up to 2017 now so I don't know if there are drastic differences between 17-18. By sheet number field, you mean in the sheet layers pallete? I think that is what I was thinking of. More or less, the "sheet field" becomes the place holder for the page number field so the sheets update if one is inserted? The hardest part is sharing with people who don't know CAD standards. numbers like "4.02" mean little to an exhibit developer or an educator. Most lay people understand page numbers. Looks like I have some tinkering to do.