Teaser Tuesday - Class and Layer Filters - Vectorworks 2019

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
11 minutes ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

I set that one up, but I want the opposite, all classes except “Detail”

Apologies, I misread your first reply. Looks like we need a "Doesnt Contain" for the Class Name field. Or perhaps, an Include vs Exclude toggle for the filter overall would be cleaner. Submitting this now.

• Like 4
50 minutes ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

Have i missed something? I was trying to create a filter to show all classes except for classes starting with “Detail”

43 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

This should be possible, yes. Tools > Organization, select the Classes tab then Manage Filters near the top right. Create a New one, then Class Name > Start With > Detail should do it, with Any for the rest of the options to ignore tags and visibility.

I think Jonathan is asking to exclude classes starting with "Detail". I don't think that's possible....

Kevin

Hmmh, I also tried it at the moment.

I was surprised that I am not able to add add more words,

like separated by a comma or similar.

I wished it would work like macOS Finder search or a Banking App.

Once you set 1 Filter Option, there is a Plus Icon to add another Option

and choose from the appropriate 2nd search category,

which could be the same like the first one.

Like :

1stFloor + 2ndFloor

or

Floor - 1st => all Floors but 1stFloor

Hi 

My thoughts on this feature having tried it in anger.

Certainly an improvement, but on the whole it feels like it is just bolted on to the existing UI - it doesn't feel like it is baked in to the experience

For example  - with tags :

• Why can't you add tags to a layer when you are creating a new layer?
  • Only way to add tags seems to be right click and choose "Assign Tags". You can't add them from the edit layer dialogue - which seems like a natural place to do it
  • The search box does not search tags, only names
  • Tags not shown in the Navigation palette Tag 
  • Filters can only filter against one tag - even though 2 or mare tags can be assigned as already pointed out above
  • There's a bug which I came across within 5 mins - so not sure how well tested this was.  Make 3 tags, Tag A, Tag B and Tag C for example.  Assign them to a design layer. Create a filter called "Tag C" and have it include "Tag C" in the results.  Save etc.  Then go back to that same tag and the tag to include is changed to Tag A

This is just for starters - and just gives the impression that the feature is half baked and not fully thought through and tested.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, Andrew Davies said:
  • There's a bug which I came across within 5 mins - so not sure how well tested this was.  Make 3 tags, Tag A, Tag B and Tag C for example.  Assign them to a design layer. Create a filter called "Tag C" and have it include "Tag C" in the results.  Save etc.  Then go back to that same tag and the tag to include is changed to Tag A

^ I can confirm this.

Also wondering why the Layer Tag List appears empty in the Organization Dialog even when tags exist in the drawing. Is it intended for something else?

Kevin

11 minutes ago, Andrew Davies said:

via a text file

Are you sure, just tried to import tags using this method and it says its expecting another drawing. It would be good if you could though.....

You seem to be able to paste from a text file which I guess is nearly as good!

Mark

1391094580_ScreenShot2018-09-17at15_45_58.thumb.png.5a161122cfe6edd3bc7222e854a65627.png

Edited by markdd
  • 10 months later...