Connect/Combine Tool???

tgm

Why did NNA eliminate the old extend tool and replace it with this tool?? I have yet to get this tool to work. I follow the manual instructions on 12-9. Go to 'Connect Single Objects', click on end of object to connect(where my crosshair does nothing and the object is not selected),and then click on boundry. All this does nothing!! I have reloaded VW11 and still no luck. When you click on the menu for Connect/Combine the tool bar tells the directions and if followed mine still does not work.

Has anyone had a problem but me??

Tom in PA

• 2 weeks later...

Tom

I feel your pain. It doesn't seem right to post a question and not get an answer for 2 weeks.

I think the instructions in the manual assume you use "click-click" drawing (the first item in the VW prefs dialog box is checked off). If you have this clicked on to enable "click-drag" drawing try to drag from the conectee to the boundary and then it should work. It will also work with multiple selections but it won't feel right until you fool around with it a little.

The tool does work the way it's supposed to-maybe the manual doesn't.

G'luck

Rick

this tool works fine here. you have to touch on the lines you want connected or extended to get it to work. it was a little tricky @ first for me becuase the selection crosshairs are so small, but once i got the hang of it, its works great. i especially like the options for connecting 2 lines either to a point or as one object.

if you have no crosshair, the objects cannot be connected, i beleive, by the way.

The Connect/Combine tool works for me, but it's nothing like the old Extend tool. You have to grab whatever you want extended and drag it to the boundary object.

Of course, you can do that with the Select tool, so you might well wonder why there's a special tool that does it. Adding insult to injury, they tell us this is an improvement on the old Extend tool.

I tried as Rick suggested above and the 'click'click' method works in a fashion. Going to 'click-drag' and the tool does not work at all. I find this one of the most cumbersome 'improvements' to date. Even when it does work, as jan15 states above, you still have to pull it into position. My other programs, including old VW8.6, you just select the boundary and click anywhere on the line to extend instead of this 'line up the crosshair and drag' scenario. Operation of a tool like 'Extend' should be an industry standard in operation to eliminate this tool fiasco. Oh...excuse me , we now call it Connect/Combine for some reason.

Maybe this tool does not work on WinXP?? I have had many problems on WinXP that seems to affect only me lately,

Tom

Tom,

The tool works fine on Win XP. I use it to connect, combine, and extend lines all the time, even extending multiple lines at once to a curved boundary, it also combines nurbs curves, bezier curves, and nurbs surfaces. It's a very flexible tool and can do many things...but I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do. I'm guessing you want to extend one line until it contacts another line, but not necessarily so that both ends of the lines are joined, is that correct? For me, I just select the tool, then click on the line I want to extend and then click on to 'boundary' line and it works OK, it sounds like you're not having such luck.

Using the "click-drag" preference works fine too. You just click on the first line....hold down the mouse button and move the cursor to the second line, then let up on the mouse button. Technically, it's just one click of the mouse instead of two and the theory is you get more work done with less clicks, but it's just a preference and I myself don't use it.

Tom Kyler

[ 11-10-2004, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: tom kyler ]

I second tgm,

I think we should keep the extend tool because it just works deference way. It sucks... to click 30 times just to extend 15 lines. Connect/combine work fine in other situation but not with multiple lines..I means a lot of lines. Window Selection some times are applicable in very complex drawing.

It is good if FENCE feature to be added as Autocad has. It helps a lot to reduce number of clicking.

I use script by Katerina ( and modify it to work with wall ) to resolve the problem but it doesn't work for other than 2 point objects. And face some problem while group editing.

Extend Tools....I miss it and want it back.

Click..Drag....Click..Drag....Click..Drag....Click..Drag..

..Click..Drag....Click..Drag....Click..Drag....Click..Drag

....Click..Drag....Click..Drag....Click..Drag....Click..Drag....

I dont want to do that.

G-Pang

• 2 weeks later...