Records and their Attached Object's Location

M5d

How do you get a record to pick up the location of the symbol it is attached to from a space object. I’m sure I’ve seen this, but I cannot find any examples of how it is done, does it require interaction from a worksheet to happen?   

I don't use space objects enough to understand your question. Can you explain what you are trying to do?

If the information you want is not already part of a record attached to the object you are either going to have to manually paste it into a worksheet database that lists that record.field in a database section, or you are going to have to run a script that will calculate the necessary information and store it in the record.

Hi Pat 

Yeah, I was dreaming, not completely though. I watched a tutorial some time ago on recording the location of objects within a drawing, which I thought was in the service select library, but I cannot find it. There's the location (LOC) criteria, which oddly doesn't show up in Help, and the recently added criteria GetSpaceNameForObj, which I'll experiment with. But you're right, Records are always inert and scripts, I suspect, would be getting overcomplicated. 

LOC is an interesting criteria. Create a polygon (rectangle, circle, basically any closed 2D shape) and give it a Name in the OIP (bottom of the Shape pane).

Create a Worksheet with a database Row. Put in a Criteria of LOC is 'name that you gave the shape'

This should give you one subrow for each object that is within the named shape.

This works best in Top/Plan and then you can use the XCenter and YCenter functions to get the "insertion point" of the objects.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 6:48 AM, M5d said:

How do you get a record to pick up the location of the symbol it is attached to from a space object. I’m sure I’ve seen this, but I cannot find any examples of how it is done, does it require interaction from a worksheet to happen?   

GetSpaceNameForObj etc. work well with space objects, one only has to check that objects are on the same z as the space object is (=usually layer plane).  The same goes for LOC.

The screen grab displays a door schedule utilizing these functions, column C for space number and E for space name.

Particular to doors is that the function might display two spaces since the door usually sits between the two. A draggable marker to "assign" a space to door object would be handy, similar to the one used in ADT.

These functions are really handy, we never have to anymore assign space names and numbers by hand  to furniture, equipment, devices etc.

0018 Space names.PNG