Default drawing label tool

How does one create a default style for the drawing label tool? I find that when I use the drawing label tool, I have to manually change the size of the text and change the bubble style for every viewport. This is tedious and would be a great timesaver to understand how to set it once, and have it as my default.

Thank you!

Danielle

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this is a bit of a tangent, but I'm having problems in 2019 with my drawing label, and can't find any thread on the forum directly discussing  it. My drawing labels aren't synching to the viewport OIP fields anymore. I have to go into the annotative layer and edit the information directly. This is occurring on viewports where the drawing label is created automatically, which prior to 2019, always synched up with the Drawing Title and Drawing Number OIP fields. Is anyone else experiencing this?

thanks!

Matt

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

If I am telling you anything you already know, please forgive me. I've been trying to work on issues with the new label tool with the Vectorworks folks and it is extremely frustrating. The tool used to be very intuitive and EASY to edit and make defaults. Now it is FAR from intuitive. And every time I call tech support, they tell me it is a "training issue" and that the tool works as designed and refuse to help me over the phone. Instead, sending me screen shots, when they could have just walked me through it.

With that said… place a drawing label on a sheet.

Right click and select "Locate Plug-in Style in Resource Manger."

Make a copy of it and work on the copy. Right click on the label and select "Duplicate."

Right click on the duplicate and select "Edit." 

When the dialog box opens, click on the button "Edit Drawing Label Layout."

The layout for the label will open and you can edit to your heart's content. You can select the text and manipulate various things in the Object Info palette. You can change text styles as well as make the text dynamic or static (user entered). There is no documentation that I can find that helps with the dynamic text. You almost have to have some programming knowledge. I wish they would make it a little more intuitive. Architects, Engineers, and designers need to be concentrating on important things about their designs and not on how the tools work. Life Safety, Planning Commission, Deadlines, Code issues, ADA, etc, etc, etc. The tools to do this should be a little more intuitive. 

If someone can help me with an issue I am having with the Drawing Label tool it would be greatly appreciated. I need to know how to set the default Scale Factor of my label to 1.2 and the default Lebel Length Mode to "Control Point." I used the same technique described above, set the parameters, but no matter what I set them to, the tool always defaults to a Scale Factor of 1 and a Lebel Length Mode of "Auto-Fit."

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @StephiPoole,

11 hours ago, StephiPoole said:

If someone can help me with an issue I am having with the Drawing Label tool it would be greatly appreciated. I need to know how to set the default Scale Factor of my label to 1.2 and the default Lebel Length Mode to "Control Point." I used the same technique described above, set the parameters, but no matter what I set them to, the tool always defaults to a Scale Factor of 1 and a Lebel Length Mode of "Auto-Fit."

- There are 2 ways to go for this as of VW 2022 SP3:

1) If these parameters are defined by the style (By Style) then you have to edit the style in the resource manager and set their values there.

2) If these parameters are not defined by the style (By Instance), you can select the Drawing Label tool, click on Preferences and set the values there. Note, if the parameters are By Style then they will not be editable in the preferences dialog of the tool.

If you want to change the By Style/By Instance state of the parameters you can edit your drawing label style in the RM and click on Plugin style/instance settings to define which parameters are by style and which by instance.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
11 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:
23 hours ago, StephiPoole said:

- There are 2 ways to go for this as of VW 2022 SP3:

1) If these parameters are defined by the style (By Style) then you have to edit the style in the resource manager and set their values there.

2) If these parameters are not defined by the style (By Instance), you can select the Drawing Label tool, click on Preferences and set the values there. Note, if the parameters are By Style then they will not be editable in the preferences dialog of the tool.

If you want to change the By Style/By Instance state of the parameters you can edit your drawing label style in the RM and click on Plugin style/instance settings to define which parameters are by style and which by instance.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Nikolay is correct.  The only thing I'll add to this is that a "By Instance" parameter in a style also acts as the default on insertion.  If you want the ability to edit a parameter for instances of a style but want a different default, set the desired default value in the style and leave the parameter set to "By Instance".

• Like 3