landscape edging/headers - best practices

I'm very new to vectorworks and using 2017.  I would like to learn how people are creating landscape edging to represent in 3D and reports.  Many of my designs have these running between different landcape areas, usually abutting some other hardscape object like a walkway or path.  I used to just draw these as polylines in AutoCAD, but now I would like to leverage Vectorworks to make them properly in 3D so they will follow a site model and such.  I just made one with the hardscape tool using the path option and setting it to 6" wide.  It seems to work pretty good on curvilinear forms both in 2D and 3D, though I can't seem to find an option in the hardscape settings that builds it from "top of slab" and representing it's thickness in the downward direction.  I usually show a difference of 2" between the top of walks/headers and the adjacent landscape or hardscape surface and would like to represent this.  In the mean time, I opted to change to object from 3D to 2D, VW is taking forever to process that little instruction 😞

thanks for any help,

Jeff

On 8/5/2018 at 12:51 AM, jeff prince said:

I'm very new to vectorworks and using 2017.  I would like to learn how people are creating landscape edging to represent in 3D and reports.  Many of my designs have these running between different landcape areas, usually abutting some other hardscape object like a walkway or path.  I used to just draw these as polylines in AutoCAD, but now I would like to leverage Vectorworks to make them properly in 3D so they will follow a site model and such.  I just made one with the hardscape tool using the path option and setting it to 6" wide.  It seems to work pretty good on curvilinear forms both in 2D and 3D, though I can't seem to find an option in the hardscape settings that builds it from "top of slab" and representing it's thickness in the downward direction.  I usually show a difference of 2" between the top of walks/headers and the adjacent landscape or hardscape surface and would like to represent this.  In the mean time, I opted to change to object from 3D to 2D, VW is taking forever to process that little instruction 😞

thanks for any help,

Jeff

Jeff,

I don't know if you are going to get what you want with 2017. I know if 2018 you can use a hardscape object with the site modifier at either the top of slab or the bottom however this is exactly as it sounds so if you cut a section to get the 2" "pop" you want your hardscape can only be 2" which will not give you the proper section of the hardscape in section. It would be great if one could have a hardscape with similar parameters as the "Landscape Wall" tool with offsets set by object. Perhaps this can be a future improvement. One possible solution would be to use site modifier "contours" with slope and set them 2" below the top of slab. Could be done easily enough if you offset the original poly and decompose and then make shapes from objects.

Best of luck.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...