willofmaine

Hatches for Humans

Question

5 answers to this question

I go out of my way to avoid using hatches because I am terrified of that interface. 

• Like 2

Will, you can do this with Tile fills. 

For more information look at Help.  There is a sub-section in Basic Techniques titled Using Tile Fills.  

I would still like to see a more visual way to define hatches though as per your Wish.

Right, but I don't think Tiles can be used as Surface Hatches, and I think they increase file size, especially maybe with exported PDF files (?? - at least, based on one experience I had, but that may have been a "bombed" stipple with it's large number of points...).  I did just find that if Tiles include lines in their geometry, those will show up when layer colors are applied.  So that's good.  So maybe the wish should instead be that Tiles can also be 3D, and integrated with Textures just as Hatches are...  Either way, of course, avoiding use of the current hatch creator is the goal!

• Like 1

I like to show the flooring pattern as a tile fill on a floor object.  But one cannot add a texture to the floor if using a tile fill, because then it somehow is not a solid object.  Ideally, tile fills would keep things solid so you can have a fill for plan view as well.  

Tiles don't export to DWG. For us, everything we draw has to export to DWG, for the engineers.

...Or I don't know how to.

Tiles are easy to make - I wonder if that interface could not be used to make hatches as well?

• Like 1