Animation for VW ?

Because I need to start animating some furniture pieces, I'm looking into my options now. I have used VW Animation for spinning a piece around but that’s about the extent of my experience with this. I'm checking out AnimationWorks by OzCad but also curious if there are any other choices for a VW animation add-on. My work would involve object path movement ..think exploded views coming together, drawers sliding in and out, doors swinging open, etc... Thoughts on this? Thanks in advance for any guidance here...always appreciated.

Edited by Steven Kenzer
  • 1 month later...

Hi there,

let me chime in please, as I just finished some renderings and my client is now asking for a fly-through animated video.

—> A) … can I do animations of a high-quality rendering of an interior scene which also has lots of fog lighting by only using Vectorworks?

—> B) … how would AnimationWorks support my custom event type scenes/renderings?

—> C) … or would I be using Twinmotion? ... just asking in case anybody is knowledgeable with this program ...

—> D) … and does Twinmotion support my 3D renderings with these event scenes with lots of custom light settings? I heard I would have to set up new lights and settings, is that correct?

I am seeking a solution that won't cost me a lot of time and nerves of learning a complex new program, because I spent my last 18 months on improving my VW skills in 3D renderings, event type settings, which Renderworks Styles to use for spaces with no window and special lighting and textures.

Please see attached below a floorplan showing the venue and the path of a fly-through with rendered scenes.

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 1.04.10 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 1.04.17 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 1.03.42 pm.png

Edited by Grethe Connerth
10 hours ago, Grethe Connerth said:

Hi there,

let me chime in please, as I just finished some renderings and my client is now asking for a fly-through animated video.

—> A) … can I do animations of a high-quality rendering of an interior scene which also has lots of fog lighting by only using Vectorworks?

—> B) … how would AnimationWorks support my custom event type scenes/renderings?

—> C) … or would I be using Twinmotion? ... just asking in case anybody is knowledgeable with this program ...

—> D) … and does Twinmotion support my 3D renderings with these event scenes with lots of custom light settings? I heard I would have to set up new lights and settings, is that correct?

I am seeking a solution that won't cost me a lot of time and nerves of learning a complex new program, because I spent my last 18 months on improving my VW skills in 3D renderings, event type settings, which Renderworks Styles to use for spaces with no window and special lighting and textures.

Please see attached below a floorplan showing the venue and the path of a fly-through with rendered scenes.

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 1.04.10 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 1.04.17 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 1.03.42 pm.png

Seems like Vision would be your logical choice.

• 1 month later...

Vision is a stage lighting programming tools. It is another product by Vectorworks.Although you can create stills like those you've shown inVectorworks. You will have to have lens objects in the lighting instruments. Most of the Vectorworks spotlight lighting devices have the geometry, BUT the need to have a class assigned and a glow texture added to the lens.

In the spotlight preferences, if you check modify by color, AND the glow texture is set to object color, the lens will glow in the color of the Gell assigned to the light.

• Like 1

Hi @Kevin Allen,

got it, thank you for your insights.

Unfortunately I only work with VW Architect, so that one is out of reach for me.

In the meantime, to my latest post above, I have now tried working with AnimationWorks, the VW Add-on for OZ & NZ VW users, but it is VERY basic and time-consuming to get things on a high-level manner done.

Also looking into Twinmotion which is a great program for architects, however does not recover the lights from the VW source files, so everything has to be re-created but mainly it does not support custom light beam settings especially for event settings. 

I looked into Lumion, not a bad option.

Overall it seems with these programs that they don't support volumetric light beams much if at all, other than for sunlight but not individual light beams for entertainment.

Only Artlantis has IES lights that can be individualised, which was the first one I saw this morning ... I'll explore that one for fly-throughs also.