Unequal leaf glazed doors

adk

Question

Hello everyone, 

I keep encountering a consistent 3d issue with the door objects in Vectorworks 2018:  When drawing unequal leaf doors in a glazed screen there seems to be a problem in having the slave (smaller) leaf render with a similar glazed panel to the main door.

Does anyone know if there is a way of getting both leaves to render with the same properties?

5 answers to this question

That is a limitation of the door object.  And one that bugs me, too!

You will need to create a symbol of the door you need and use that symbol in the door object.

I usually get as close as possible with the regular parametric door object, then copy/paste it somewhere else.  Make a duplicate.  In a 3D view convert one to a group.  In a 2D view convert the other one to a group.  Fix the smaller leaf in 3D.  Lay the two groups over each other.  Create a symbol.  Use that symbol in the door object.  whew.

This is a weird, major hindrance still not fixed despite many people asking for it for a long time. Especially cumbersome if one has several sizes of glazed unequal leaf doors - scaling the symbol scales the frames as well, of course -> doors don't look correct anymore. The only way is to model several different doors.

One would think this is very easy to fix in the door object code....Please.

Thank you both, 

Michaelk I have used your work around, and visually it suits the specific requirements of the opening.

The other annoying thing of not being able to represent the door accurately as a door object of course is that the symbol won't appear on any automatically generated schedules...

It will if you use the symbol inside a door object.

Insert a normal VW door object.  Click on Settings in the OIP > General > Check "Use Symbol Geometry" > Browse to the symbol.

It's not perfect, the operation of the door obviously no longer has any effect in the drawing, but the image shows up in the schedule.