Linking Multiple Text Boxes

• 5 months later...
On 8/1/2018 at 2:46 PM, MultipleWays said:

Is there a way to link multiple text boxes together so when you change one it ripples through all the others that are linked?  Thanks for any assistance.

NO, but there should be! Text objects need dramatic improvement. It has been my #1 wishlist item for years, but they haven't done anything.

• Like 3
On 8/2/2018 at 9:46 AM, MultipleWays said:

Is there a way to link multiple text boxes together so when you change one it ripples through all the others that are linked?

If you made each text item a symbol then yes. Though if there are lots of text items then this could get unwieldy.

On 8/1/2018 at 5:59 PM, markdd said:

I think that the only way you could do this is by uliilsing the callouts function and use the database to change notes that way. 

How do you update all the callouts at once using the database?  I know how to do it with annotations placed as keynotes, but I wasn't aware that you could do it using regular callouts?

• Like 1
Just now, Boh said:

I don't think you can. You can add callouts to a database and then reuse that text again elsewhere but updating automatically as far as I'm aware is not possible. Would love to b proved wrong on that...

Agreed. Unless the callout is a keynote, there is no central place to affect a change in all instances of a callout from the database. When it is a keynote, that universal change can original from the Keynote Legend.

....there is another way, but I wouldn't recommend it for this purpose. You can actually control the Text of a callout object from a database worksheet designed to pull the field ('Callout'.'Text').

We have made symbols of repeated paragraphs, notes, or other text that appears multiple times, but unfortunately there isn't a great way to keep a phrase or portion of text consistent.

On 1/23/2019 at 8:35 AM, ericjhberg said:

Agreed. Unless the callout is a keynote, there is no central place to affect a change in all instances of a callout from the database. When it is a keynote, that universal change can original from the Keynote Legend.

I've just created a new thread about using worksheets for global editing of callouts. I'm wondering if this is the way to go?:

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Thank you all for the info! 

I have another one for you:  Do you know (or is it possible) to display only a portion of a worksheet? 

Example:  I have a Database Worksheet showing all symbols using a certain record.  I would like to display the header and lines 20-40 of the worksheet on a sheet layer.  In the past I've created duplicate worksheets and edited them for my needs OR I've cheated and dropped a white rectangle mask over it.  But, it seems like there should be an option to display only necessary lines.

Any ideas?  

• Like 1

Can you add more filters to the criteria? What sort of things are you wanted to schedule?

It may not apply to your situation however I had a similar thing recently where I only wanted to show certain drawings in a worksheet that listed all sheet layers that contained a titleblock. I added a boolean record to the title block with a field called "Show in drawing list". The drawing list worksheet then only listed titleblocks where the value of this record field was true.

This was good enough however to make things a bit easier I also have an additional "Housekeeping" worksheet for titleblocks where I can globally edit them including drawing number, scale, date etc etc. In this housekeeping worksheet I could also toggle the "Show in drawing list" field to true or false to select which drawings I wanted to show in my drawing list worksheet.

Hoe that is helpful.

image.thumb.png.3339ea937190ef7871346602846e2708.png

image.thumb.png.a6d173da3234ab27073ba76a93796b8c.png  

• Like 1

I like the idea...  but don't think it applies.  

I'm trying to create a master list that I can use on multiple sheets so, for example, sheet 1 can display lines 1-10, sheet 2 can display 11-20, etc.  The boolean would either be on or off; not really selectable per instance.

• 2 years later...

@MultipleWaysI think I have the same issue. My alternate understanding of the original question is, would it be possible to split a General Notes object into two parts (or more) as you can in many word processing programs. For example, on a Notes sheet where you need to carry the text over to the next column?  I have databases of notes from different agencies, and they seem to be constantly adding or changing the notes.  I organize my notes in columns on my Notes sheet, but there isn't a way to coordinate the formatting of each General Notes object over the whole sheet, such that adding an item to one General Notes object would trigger an adjustment in the others.  If Vectorworks had broader word processing capabilities, the worksheet could be organized into columns with the content filling from one column to the next automatically as notes were added or removed. 

• Like 1