tca

Complex wall opening

I'm looking for a way to model an opening in a wall as shown on the attached picture.

Also attached my first attempts, any help would be very welcome..

afgeschuinde muuropening.vwx

IMG_4814.JPG

Schermafbeelding 2018-08-01 om 16.44.34.png

Schermafbeelding 2018-08-01 om 16.44.58.png

Under the AEC menu, Select "Create Wall Recess".  It will insert the solid wherever it is located in 3d space.

Wall recesses sometimes randomly disappear, they also sometimes display oddly in plan.  They also sometimes don't regenerate from VW backup files.  All this means that they may need to be reinserted.  In instances like this, however they are truly useful.

Cheers!

Wall Opening.vwx

Edited by cberg
Clarity

Ah, great! Didn't think of that. Thanks!

What's the best way to model that solid correctly? Did this one with subdivision..

Okay even better :) Exactly what I needed, thanks Kevin!

image.thumb.png.41c7e5722f2a04fcfeecad4e9c18dfd1.png

@Kevin McAllister Thanks Kevin I really enjoyed making your windows. Brilliant. I was unaware of the loft tool .Took me a while but I got there in the end. Let's hope it sinks into the old grey matter and can be repeated another time!  🙂

• Like 1

Nice work, @Kevin McAllister!  And, great 'splainin' too.

This type of opening was asked several times before (probably Kevin offered solutions, among others).

Although it is an old form and must have several names, I have seen this opening referred to as a Ronchamp window, after Le Corbusier's use:

https://www.inexhibit.com/mymuseum/notre-dame-du-haut-le-corbusier-ronchamp-chapel/

Is it possible to add more search tags to to this really great thread showing the common monickers?  

Architects, what else do you call this wall opening config?

-B