DTM generation ------- Help!

graham

I have a DXF 3D polyline file. Created in AutoCadd, of a 64 acre plot. I would like to generate a Model in Victorworks 10.1 running on a Mac duel 1 gig G4, running OS 10.2.6. What is the process to generate a Model from import to Model compleation?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

OK -- the process is described in detail in chapter 6 of the VectorWorks Architect documentation, which I suggest you read in detail. Since you are starting with 3D polygons (which I assume are already at the correct elevation), you can use these directly as your Site Model input data. (All the other import options are for tabular data or 2D data that needs to be converted to 3D.) If you polygons have a lot of points in them and you want to simplify them to speed up processing time, take a look at the section "Filtering 3D Polygons" on page 6-12.

I read the section in the User?s Guide that you referenced. I had read it before but I though I had missed something. I imported the DXF Contour file as source data. From the pull down menu I selected AEC > Site Model. I got the following dialog box Error: There isn?t enough valid data on the specified source layer to build a DTM. It appears that I am only getting 2D information. The file has been used in the past to build a DTM in other software ( MacRoad now HighRoad).

If the polys were 3d in the DXF file, you can re-import the file using import 3d only (in the import dialog box) and you won't have to go thru and give all the 2d polys z heights.