IFC Export Data Wall Types

Hi All,

Having a bit of a nightmare at the moment exporting an IFC file for our QS on a BIM project from 3D Vectorworks Model.

I have been using various wall types, which are largely generic at this stage. Currently 5 core types, 3 of which are generic walls (3 different thicknesses but no buildup shown), 2 of which are curtain walling types.

The QS is trying to break down the building into different wall types to put costs against them. They have told us that the IFC Data they would expect to see in the model (which they would use to read these varying wall types) is not appearing when they open our IFC file. Looking at the model in Solbri, I can see that a lot of fields I would expect to be filled in are blank, and the walls are not searchable/sub-dividable by type.

Has anyone successfully used wall types in IFC exports?

Have I missed a key step where IFC data is added to each wall type? i.e. 'Wall type code', allowing all wall types to be differentiated in the model.

Can anyone explain the 'IFC' menu under 'Data' in each wall type?

Where on the below screenshot should we be inputting information?

The 'global' vs 'single instance' toggle buttons in the IFC data panel don't work how I would expect them to. I would expect this to allow you to set, say, all instances of the wall type in question to have the same 'type' or 'name'. However clicking on the toggle appears to make data disapear, and clear the field. (I can't explain this very well - please try it yourself if you are reading this and hopefully what I'm saying will make sense!)

2053120944_ScreenShot2018-07-30at11_37_15.thumb.jpg.04cce93b9825ade9efd99415eef6c14a.jpg

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

A

• Like 1