Deform Tool on Complex 3D Symbols

I've looked around here for info about the capabilities of the deform tool (also watched a video), and I'm already guessing I'm just out of luck here, but I wanted to ask anyway.

I'm trying to bend a very complex 3D symbol and as soon as I select the symbol (after selecting the Deform Tool) the program basically freezes.  It won't even highlight the object. 

So I'm wondering what options I might have. 

Can I make the symbol much more simple? And if so, in what way do I need to simplify it to help this process?

Or is this a processing power issue?

I have 2 very powerful CPUs already, and I think I'm correct in thinking this process uses CPU and not GPU.

Ideas?

Thx.

The first thing you should do is to convert the symbol to a group and then work from within the group. Alternatively, duplicate the symbol and then edit within the duplicated symbol. I know you are meant to be able to deform symbols but I have not had that much luck beyond relatively straightforward geometry.

What are you trying to do. If you could post a screen shot etc then it would be helpful....

I've tried to upload various file types (png & jpeg), not working for some reason, error-200

It's a parade float design on a 48' flatbed trailer, with a very large (28'+) Gibson Les Paul neck coming out of the deck at a 45deg angle, and I'd like to bend it down towards the deck.  The guitar is an imported .skp

... changing it to a group.

Edited by Steve Clarkson
9 minutes ago, Steve Clarkson said:

The guitar is an imported .skp

^ Its unlikely you'll have much luck deforming a mesh with the Deform Tool, which is what a Sketchup import would be.

I think the bottleneck with the Deform tool is the selection highlighting, which I believe is single core CPU driven.

I've successfully bent some complex stuff but I usually use a solid addition as a starting point. The selection highlighting (and snapping) can be an issue.

Kevin

Sounds like the imported mesh might be the problem then. I’m not sure what to advise. Perhaps manipulate it in Sketchup and then import the finished object. 

The last time I looked a Gibson Les Paul wasn’t that tricky. Could you not make it from scratch?

Edited by markdd