CAN GRAYED LAYER OBJECTS RETAIN FILL?

When creating Electrical Plans, I would like for the floor plan layer to be grayed beneath the EP layer.

However the fills of objects disappear.

Can I have a grayed layer and still have fill to the layer objects?

Thanks,

Bradley

Have you thought about Layer Colours? If your work has no texture assigned then 3D objects will take layer colours fills. (Edit: Actually Object Attribute textures work fine as well) You could enable layer colours selectively in a viewport and then set those to a grey colour. Sadly in Design Layers its an all or nothing thing and layer colours have to be enabled for everything.

Edited by markdd
7 hours ago, bc said:

So I assume you are annotating in the SLViewport?

I am working in Design Layers.

I don't understand why annotating in design layers should make a difference. I annotate in both VP annotations and on design layers depending on the application. If I annotate on a design layer I would typically place annotation text on it's own class e.g "TEXT-NOTES-Plan_ Floor_Framing". Meaning this class can remain unaffected by any VP class overrides.

Are you familiar with the use of VP overrides to adjust attribute settings for layers / classes uniquely to one viewport only?

Yes I am familiar with class overrides in viewports but don't use that extensively as I don't employ a "totally by class" workflow.  Probably should but I don't right now.  As to my initial post, I don't see how class overrides is going to show (for example) my countertops (floor objects) as solid in a greyed layer under any circumstances. Can you please explain.  I don't have much experience here. Thanks

Will have to look further into the 'by layer color' thing or perhaps   MarkDD  could lay it out for the complete idiot.

On a Sheet Layer I have selected the Viewport, gone into it's layers via the OIP, selected the layer and clicked EDIT, and then the colors button and set ALL colors to a gray, previewed and updated...to no avail. Use Layer Colors is preferenced to ON.

Any ideas?

On 7/30/2018 at 12:11 PM, bc said:

I don't see how class overrides is going to show (for example) my countertops (floor objects) as solid in a greyed layer under any circumstances. Can you please explain.  I don't have much experience here.

Note that I suggested leaving your layers as visible (i.e. NOT graying them). If you leave as visible then the class attributes of objects can be overridden in viewports as required. As you say, only ‘by class’  object attributes can be overridden. If it is just the opacity of objects you need to override then this should be the only object attribute that needs to be by class. Hope that is helpfull