Drawing registers

nikihoops

Question

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a 'clever' drawing register. I've created a worksheet data object and its on a sheet; looks great etc. However when I change the name of a sheet for example it doesn't update on the worksheet - I have tried recalculating it. This is also the same with adding revisions. I have my own sheets set up with title blocks that all seem to work fine. 

I've looked online for videos/explanations with no luck.

Can anyone point me in the right direction/give me some pointers? 

Example.vwx

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Boh said:

A while back I tried to do something similar but without success. I think I even got @Nikolay Zhelyazkov to see if it was possible but as I recall it either wasn't or was just way too complicated. I gave up on trying to create a custom worksheet for drawing revisions partly for this reason and I now just use the auto generated one, which though it isn't ideal, is good enough for my purposes. For the auto generated Project Revision history worksheet the only way to make it clear that an unrevised drawing has been issued is to give it a revision number.

This pretty much sums up where I ended up too.

Of the three ones that can be auto generated the "Title Block Project Revision History" one is the one that is near enough what I want, with a few customisations that can be made without breaking it. It can't show a zero or dot for sheets that have been issued without a revision number. One of the other auto generated ones *can* show dots but the overall format of the report doesn't do what I want it to do.

I kind of decided, independently of VW limitations, that I'd start just issuing drawings as "Revision A" to start with, because this actually removes the potential for various other confusions that can arise.

9 minutes ago, line-weight said:

I kind of decided, independently of VW limitations, that I'd start just issuing drawings as "Revision A" to start with, because this actually removes the potential for various other confusions that can arise.

I considered doing this too but wasn't happy with it. Time will tell whether I'm happier with this though:

838829160_Screenshot2023-05-08at11_24_36.png.b92dd70fd3d203ddc0ad667ea7930c71.png

(Not sure how I ended up with certain revisions being issued twice. Issue 1 isn't correct. I feel that there should be some way to go back + correct this but I can't figure out how).

5 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I considered doing this too but wasn't happy with it. Time will tell whether I'm happier with this though:

838829160_Screenshot2023-05-08at11_24_36.png.b92dd70fd3d203ddc0ad667ea7930c71.png

(Not sure how I ended up with certain revisions being issued twice. Issue 1 isn't correct. I feel that there should be some way to go back + correct this but I can't figure out how).

Presumably this means you're not using the auto-generated variety, and have to do a certain amount of manual messing around to get what you want? I abandoned that route because it just seemed too easy to end up with that sort of thing; certain issues being incorrect or getting in the wrong order.

8 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Presumably this means you're not using the auto-generated variety

Correct. And after all the useful info in this thread I thought I should try the auto one but it wasn't generating anything when I did... Not sure why.

10 minutes ago, line-weight said:

have to do a certain amount of manual messing around to get what you want?

If 'all' I have to do is reorder the issue columns each time I create a new issue I can live with that. The database part of the worksheet you can reorder the columns very easily by changing the Issue Data in the drop-down in the column header. But if info is actually incorrect then that's not so good. This particular project is a bit of a mess as firstly, the sheets were spread over several files initially + I'm in the process now of consolidating everything into a single file, and secondly, I only decided I needed a drawing issue register mid way through the project... I need to test my worksheet out in a new project + also try the built-in TBM one again + see if it works this time. So you customised the stock one + saved it in your user folder?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
22 minutes ago, _James said:

Hi Nikolay,

This is great news - could you elaborate a little on how this might benefit the issues highlighted in this thread? I don't fully follow what you've written

- This is a big thread and I did not check it carefully to see why exactly I had it marked as addressed with the 2024 changes. Anyway, a quick read through the posts got me to this that is part of the 2024 changes.

On 5/8/2023 at 1:13 PM, line-weight said:

Of the three ones that can be auto generated the "Title Block Project Revision History" one is the one that is near enough what I want, with a few customisations that can be made without breaking it. It can't show a zero or dot for sheets that have been issued without a revision number.

- The Project Revision History now shows dots for sheets that have been issued without a revision number

Not really sure if the sorting and filtering are also requested here, but this is a big thread with many people involved so there might be someone that finds this useful. 🙂

• Like 2

I have a slightly side question:

I am making a special title block border for the sheet that I will put my drawing register on.

Can I make that title block automatically report the date of the latest drawing issue?

Can one of these options for linked text do that?

Screenshot2024-03-28at23_21_07.jpg.45b12033e1de7b53a9a6eade744c2317.jpg

It's the date in the red circle I'm after (this is a sreenshot of the drawing register):

Screenshot2024-03-28at23_23_10.jpg.eeaa1d151bdc5812c82b1a990162e1f3.jpg

8 hours ago, line-weight said:

I have a slightly side question:

I am making a special title block border for the sheet that I will put my drawing register on.

Can I make that title block automatically report the date of the latest drawing issue?

Can one of these options for linked text do that?

Screenshot2024-03-28at23_21_07.jpg.45b12033e1de7b53a9a6eade744c2317.jpg

It's the date in the red circle I'm after (this is a sreenshot of the drawing register):

Screenshot2024-03-28at23_23_10.jpg.eeaa1d151bdc5812c82b1a990162e1f3.jpg

- Yes, this can be done with the custom linked text options. You should have Latest Date as an option there, when you edit the TBB layout and select a text object.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- Yes, this can be done with the custom linked text options. You should have Latest Date as an option there, when you edit the TBB layout and select a text object.

I really like TBBs! I think they are a really impressive feature. Be great to have this degree of functionality/customisation with other objects in VW!

1 hour ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Thanks. I've tried these three

Screenshot2024-03-29at09_34_15.jpg.566800ae731cd1860f1d47642f30da19.jpg

The first one pulls through a date, but it's the date that I set as the issue date of the sheet the drawing register's on.

I suppose that will work as long as I include the drawing register in each issue I make, but ideally I'd like it to pull the same data that the drawing issue worksheet pulls.

1 minute ago, line-weight said:

Thanks. I've tried these three

Screenshot2024-03-29at09_34_15.jpg.566800ae731cd1860f1d47642f30da19.jpg

The first one pulls through a date, but it's the date that I set as the issue date of the sheet the drawing register's on.

I suppose that will work as long as I include the drawing register in each issue I make, but ideally I'd like it to pull the same data that the drawing issue worksheet pulls.

- ohh, okay got it, this means that this linked text could be reading data from other TBBs, which is currently not possible. You can set up a project data field for this that you will have to manually update, but then the data will be visible in all TBBs.

1 hour ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- ohh, okay got it, this means that this linked text could be reading data from other TBBs, which is currently not possible. You can set up a project data field for this that you will have to manually update, but then the data will be visible in all TBBs.

I see. I guess I'd assumed the "most recent issue" data would be stored at file level rather than being contained in individual TBBs. Does VW have to look through every TBB in the file to work out what's the latest issue date?

Anyway, I think it works fine just to include the drawing register sheet in each issue, because if it displays the latest issue no. and date for that sheet, it ought always to be correct (hopefully...time will tell).

15 minutes ago, line-weight said:

I see. I guess I'd assumed the "most recent issue" data would be stored at file level rather than being contained in individual TBBs. Does VW have to look through every TBB in the file to work out what's the latest issue date?

Yes, this data is stored in the document but the Latest Issue custom link formula is reading the data of the object.