Memory leak

I am experiencing big slow downs and then crashes.

Looking at the performance the memory usage is just steadily climbing, and climbing whether I have a file open or not, with a file open it just climbs faster.

As I work VW slows down until it crashes on its own accord, this is not funny [Eek!]

I had a nvida ti 4200 which I have updated with the latest driver.

This has not helped at all.

When I shut the software down and restart it speeds up again until it begins to steadily climb yet again.

I am running 10.5.1

I have all other applications closed.

I am on a pc pentium 4 with 80g hard drive and 560mg ram

Q.

1. Is 10.5.1 known for this problem ?

2.Is there anything other than the driver I can do ?

3. Has VW11 eliminated this problem ?

4. There is no further updates to VW10 beyond 10.5.1 is there ?

Thanks

Viper x

[ 10-18-2004, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Viper x ]

Viper,

I never got the techs to verify my theory, but MiniCAD used to slow down and sometimes crash due to "memory leaks". I haven't had that problem in recent versions of VectorWorks. However, according to several threads in this forum, VW seems to stumble over something in Windows XP service pack 2. For that reason, I'm waiting until VW 11.5 comes out before I install SP2.

JHE

Thanks for replying.

I have not downloaded SP2 as yet for XP so this can not be the culprit.

The leakage is astonding, you can just sit there and watch the memory tick away.

You can understand how the system will slow down and then eventually crash.

Any other ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Viper x

[ 10-18-2004, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Viper x ]

Hi Jason, I am not using a hatch and the leaking happens with all drawings.

I have read all the archives and there seems to be others with memory leaks as well but as yet no definitive explanation has been offered as to why this debilitating problem is occurring.

Thanks for the suggestions Jason.

Viper x

ps.

This is the hatch problem you are refering to I believe Jason, I am already using 10.5.1 so this problem should have been rectified:

"Hi Colin,

Thanks for the file.

The issue causing the leaks is the hatching applied to your walls. If you remove that, then the leaks disappear. We have prioritized this fix for 10.5.1. Until then, you can use cavity fills, patterns, colors, or class attributes with hatching to work around the problem.

Thanks!

--------------------

Paul C. Pharr

CAD Software Manager

Nemetschek North America"

[ 10-19-2004, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: Viper x ]

So I've got a drawing open, and I decided to open the task manager, and check my memory usage in the processed tab, and sure enough the number keeps getting bigger.

For me it only increases mememory when I do something like editing, or even exiting a group.

I expect memory to spike when I'm working on something, but I also expect it to go back down.

I'm going to dig around some more. Right now I'm working with a drawing that I importted from Illustrator. (don't ask).

Yes when I have task manager open I can see when I begin a session with VW it logs at about:

15,000K and then it steadily rises (even if I am doing nothing) up to 420,000K [Eek!]

When it gets up to this the program slows down until it crashes.

Now I have to watch the task manager and when it starts to climb too high I reboot VW.

This is very annoying.

I don't have norton running and all other programs are turned off.

Why all this leakage ?

[ 10-26-2004, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Viper x ]

Viper X,

How many levels of UNDO are set in your VW Prefs (under the Session Tab)? Mine is set to 20 and I have never had memory problems, but my files are also smaller than yours (1-4MB). Try lowering it and see if your memory usage gets reined in. This doesn't explain memory leaks, but it might slow your memory consumption.

I have no idea why it would increase while you do nothing.

Raymond

VW 10.5.0, Mac G4, OSX 10.2.8