Import .sta template

Hi there,

I have .sta template in my computer that I want to import when I start a new document. First I go to FileNew then I select Use Document Template and I want to select the .sta file that is in my computer but it is not showing in the list. I am assuming that I need to choose or upload the .sta file. How do I do that? I can't figure it out. 

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks

The STA file needs to be stored in the Templates folder.

There are three parallel locations to store Vectorworks Templates and Default Content. These are the Application Folder, the User Folder, and the Workgroup Folder.

I don't recommend the Application Folder as this location could possibly be overwritten by an update to VW.

If it just you using the template, then I recommend the User Folder. If there are multiple people in the office who need access, I recommend you set up a workgroup folder and put it there.

Search the Help for the location of the User and Workgroup folders on your operating system.

Inside the User or Workgroup folder there should be a Libraries folder and in that a Defaults folder. Inside that there should be a Templates folder. If it does not exist, just create the folder. Store your templates files inside the Templates folder and restart VW. You should get your STA as an option the next time you go to create a new document.

Application/User/Workgroup Folder:Libraries:Defaults:Template

• Like 2

You have to create the workgroup folder. Go to Vectorworks Preferences to the User Folders tab and you can create as many Workgroup folders as you want at whatever location you want. If you want others to be able to use it, it will beed to be stored in a location on the network they can access.

You can use different Workgroup/Project folders to keep the content for different projects separated. I.e. If you were doing planting projects in both Florida and Alaska, you probably would not want to create one big plant file. Better to keep that information separate as they are not likely to overlap.

Similarly if you were doing commercial and single family, it might be better to keep the data separate.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...