macOS Mojave (10.14) Compatibility

• 2 weeks later...

Good one.  I was persuaded to pay for the VSS renewal in November 2018 to upgrade to 2019 from 2018 for greater support and compatibility.  I have spent more time since then searching for other BIM app options and hardware than actual drawing.  I have come to tolerate looking at beachballs though...

That research has made me realize after 20 years of Mac use that the HP Z series gives stunning power and value compared to an equivalent Mac solution.  Can I yet face going back to windows though? The thought makes me feel ill. Can i face relearning workflows with Revit, Microstation, Archicad etc?  Not at my age I think. The VW crash stats on this site for windows are even higher than those for Mac too!!! Should I downgrade from Mojave? Dangerous and potentially very painful.   Should I buy a new Mac?  They all come with Mojave. Please Nemetschek keep working on compatibility. I am a loyal and patient person by nature but boy have I been stretched. My wife says I have become very intolerant in recent months. I am also very behind with my clients drawings.  Crash spin crash, draw an arc...beachball again for half an hour. 

My current solution is to put autosave on to create a backup every 5 operations.  That way  I can force quit rather than wait for the ball to stop spinning and only lose a few minutes time each case. 

• Like 2

I'm also disappointed that the bugs haven't been worked out yet. Yesterday, VW locked up when just trying to change the texture for a wall with multiple tries. Still haven't been able to do it. Plus random crashes, etc. make it almost unusable or at least unreliable. I've tried setting up High Sierra as a Parallels virtual machine but can only install 2018 due to license limit. Frustrating!

Edited by Allen Brown
3 hours ago, SVA Architects said:

Can i face relearning workflows with Revit, Microstation, Archicad etc?  Not at my age I think.

As I currently try to work with Windows 10

(Hardware Freedom, Legacy Software + Input Device Compatibility, the use of

3D/CAD Pro Software is absolutely great !)

The first thing I installed was my Microstation from 2006.

(And my 3DSViz 2008 🙂 )

Works great, still looks somewhat familiar and I am sure, after a week I would

be back in and work productively. So it may be worth a try.

I had always running a Parallels VM with Windows running beside my Mac OS.

Beside that I exclusively tested 3D Pro Software on it, which often ran better on a Windows VM

than on Mac in real Mode, I forgot that a VM doesn't need any Driver maintenance.

Also I never tested any real Workflow with "peripheral" internet, office, file management

or preview and managing of Textures and Renders and such things.

So at that time I was convinced that I could easily replace insufficient Mac Hardware with

a Windows PC at any time and was just jealous about those unreachable pretty Surface Devices.

Unfortunately I realized pretty quickly that, beside 3D Pro Software usage,

Windows can't, even to some extend, ever replace a macOS workstation.

For me it is a degradation in any detail and aspect.

I see the same 75%/25% productive work vs maintenance need, uglier and worse Software

offers for everything beside Pro 3D. It feels like needing to click 2.5 times as much for the same

tasks - exactly like it was back in 2007 - I already had forgotten this and thought I would have

left that at that time and would never have to see and deal with it ever again.

Today I am pretty astonished that this Windows 10 Installation DVD still contains so much

Gates and Ballmer Legacy but so far so little of Satja Nadella's visions.

So potential Switchers should really test Windows seriously and look closely before pulling

the switch.

For VW's Mojave compatibility on the other hand,

I am not sure if those VW glitches that many experience are really still caused by Mojave.

As an exception to most 3D Pro Software, VW (and C4D) always ran at least as fine on

Mac as on Windows.

My experience on Windows 10, opposed to Mojave, wasn't much different.

I think I had the same OpenGL and redraw issues, Undos of larger Actions and

trying to Red easily crash VW on both sides.

C4D Exchange and trying to update C4D after larger changes with Object and Symbol

Layer changes,  this time resulted in a Disaster and loss of work like I have never seen

before though.

10 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

There's a really simple solution to all of this every year: don't upgrade the new Mac OS until the v3 update (or v4 is even more stable). That will make life easier not just with VW but every other app, and the OS itself.

Yes indeed. For me it all started with OSX auto update not turned off.  Then emails to renew VSS but no mention of incompatibility in those emails. Yes it was on the website but why would I check when my supplier never flagged it with the upgrade notification?

Which comes first in your scenario?  App upgrade or OS upgrade?  Also any new Mac will have the latest OS installed by default. Also any new software license will be the latest version regardless of ‘bug patch cycle’. I have also noticed when considering new hardware to solve the problem that low to mid macs use integrated GPUs (not recommended by VW). Even if I bought a brand new high level Mac, eg iMac Pro or Mac Pro Mojave would still be a problem. 

What has absorbed me over the last few weeks is possibly to get a used Mac Pro 2012 with High Sierra installed and put in a Nvidia Quadro 5000 card. Quad to 6 core Xeon should be OK.

Comments welcome 🙂

Back around 2012, a very wise lighting designer friend advised me to wait until SP3 of both VW and Mac OS to upgrade. As a rule of thumb, I stick to that as much as possible for all software/firmware/hardware... especially when my paycheck depends on it. I almost always wait until VW SP3 but made an exception this year (SP2.1) and have not regretted it. However, I also made an exception in 2016 and hugely regretted the time and work lost. To support this claim, look up the old SP release notes for past versions, and search for "crash". Notice how many instances are found in SP1-3 of each version/year, and then how it tapers off in SP4 and is pretty much gone by SP5. That's common sense, and to be expected every year.

I always update Mac OS at v3 or v4 which usually works out to be around the same time as VW SP3 (typically the first day of Spring for some reason).

Whenever possible, I wait to purchase a Mac until it ships with OS 10.X.3. That will definitely be the case this year with Apple (Mac Pro?). However, when I bought an iMac Pro last year, I wasn't comfortable downgrading from 10.13 to 10.12 as that machine was not built for 10.12. Consequently, the iMac Pro was buggier than the MacBook Pro until 10.13.4 (at which point I upgraded the MBP,  and both machines have been humming along with no issues every since).

If I owned a Mac Pro 5,1 since 2012, I would maintain it until the new one is released. However, I would advise against purchasing a cheese grater in 2019 because a Hackintosh or Mac Mini with an eGPU are better options (all things considered). Speaking from experiences,  I briefly owned a cheese grater at the end of 2017. It was just as fast as this iMac Pro (and one third the price) but I spent more time trying to get basic stuff to work because it wasn't designed for modern GPU power requirements, and lots of little things we take for granted (Bluetooth, Handoff, WiFi) were just a giant time-suck of troubleshooting. Plus Apple is scheduled to deprecate support to "legacy product" this year (read: not supported anymore). This is a very transitional year for Apple hardware, so there are a lot of unfortunate considerations to weigh (without going down the rabbit hole of personal recommendations).

The silver lining of VW and Mac OS annual upgrades in sync with each other is that they'll both be buggy at the same time, so Sep-Feb is a great time to sit back, and let everyone else beta test the bugs. It's all relative, so I just look at it as a Spring upgrade for both every year, and I'm not upset or frustrated anymore. I choose the path of least resistance.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

Back around 2012, a very wise lighting designer friend advised me to wait until SP3 of both VW and Mac OS to upgrade. As a rule of thumb, I stick to that as much as possible for all software/firmware/hardware... especially when my paycheck depends on it. I almost always wait until VW SP3 but made an exception this year (SP2.1) and have not regretted it. However, I also made an exception in 2016 and hugely regretted the time and work lost. To support this claim, look up the old SP release notes for past versions, and search for "crash". Notice how many instances are found in SP1-3 of each version/year, and then how it tapers off in SP4 and is pretty much gone by SP5. That's common sense, and to be expected every year.

I always update Mac OS at v3 or v4 which usually works out to be around the same time as VW SP3 (typically the first day of Spring for some reason).

Whenever possible, I wait to purchase a Mac until it ships with OS 10.X.3. That will definitely be the case this year with Apple (Mac Pro?). However, when I bought an iMac Pro last year, I wasn't comfortable downgrading from 10.13 to 10.12 as that machine was not built for 10.12. Consequently, the iMac Pro was buggier than the MacBook Pro until 10.13.4 (at which point I upgraded the MBP,  and both machines have been humming along with no issues every since).

If I owned a Mac Pro 5,1 since 2012, I would maintain it until the new one is released. However, I would advise against purchasing a cheese grater in 2019 because a Hackintosh or Mac Mini with an eGPU are better options (all things considered). Speaking from experiences,  I briefly owned a cheese grater at the end of 2017. It was just as fast as this iMac Pro (and one third the price) but I spent more time trying to get basic stuff to work because it wasn't designed for modern GPU power requirements, and lots of little things we take for granted (Bluetooth, Handoff, WiFi) were just a giant time-suck of troubleshooting. Plus Apple is scheduled to deprecate support to "legacy product" this year (read: not supported anymore). This is a very transitional year for Apple hardware, so there are a lot of unfortunate considerations to weigh (without going down the rabbit hole of personal recommendations).

The silver lining of VW and Mac OS annual upgrades in sync with each other is that they'll both be buggy at the same time, so Sep-Feb is a great time to sit back, and let everyone else beta test the bugs. It's all relative, so I just look at it as a Spring upgrade for both every year, and I'm not upset or frustrated anymore. I choose the path of least resistance.

Superb advice. Thanks for taking the time out 🙂

• Like 1

The virtual machines did not work well. But then I tried the same file on my 2014 MacBook Pro without issue so figured it was something to do with the machine, an iMac Pro. Searching online for "iMac Pro issues", comments about the T2 chip were common and found this link from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208198. Turned off the Secure Boot and allowed External Boot, restarted and problems seem to be solved. Apparently not Vectorworks or Mojave caused.. 

My topic was that VW does not work after creating a viewport!

This belongs to  VW 2019 SP2 R1 in combination with Mojave 10.14.2.

I guess the Mojave ...2 might be the issue!? Since this update I have these problems.

VW 2018 works.

Windows Laptop with VW 2019 works as well!

On 1/7/2019 at 5:15 PM, Allen Brown said:

The virtual machines did not work well. But then I tried the same file on my 2014 MacBook Pro without issue so figured it was something to do with the machine, an iMac Pro. Searching online for "iMac Pro issues", comments about the T2 chip were common and found this link from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208198. Turned off the Secure Boot and allowed External Boot, restarted and problems seem to be solved. Apparently not Vectorworks or Mojave caused.. 

Spoke too soon, iMac Pro still having issues. May try a clean install..

• Like 1