macOS Mojave (10.14) Compatibility

I have been using 2019 SP1 with success.  Its not perfect, but its functional.

I have been using 2019 on High Sierra OK but not on Mojave. I could not see if you stated your OS.

That being said, there are some problems which were visible with 2018 which are still there but worse with 2019. The worst of these by far is the way that objects can disappear when you're trying to edit them. By this I mean that you can enter a group or symbol to edit it and either the object's control handles are not aligned with the entities in the object or the handles are visible or there's nothing visible at all and even doing a select all, shows nothing in the info pallet… yet when you exit the symbol or group, everything is back to normal.

There are occasional work arounds… quitting and restarting, closing the drawing and reopening, selecting Unified View and deselecting, changing the view etc, but these work only occasionally. This is a huge time waster and the behaviour is worse with 2019 than 2018. I don't think this is a bug with the graphics card since it happens on laptops as well as desktops.

So while I would not say that it's not worth upgrading to 2019 yet, I would avoid Mojave and 2019 like the plague for some time. Part of the reason for these problems is that Apple have deprecated OpenGL and it appears that VW relies fairly heavily on OpenGl and maybe have not done all the work necessary to make it fully compatible with the new OS. Yes, Apple have caused a lot of problems but not the problem of disappearing objects.

D

16 minutes ago, DMcD said:

I have been using 2019 on High Sierra OK but not on Mojave. I could not see if you stated your OS.

That being said, there are some problems which were visible with 2018 which are still there but worse with 2019. The worst of these by far is the way that objects can disappear when you're trying to edit them. By this I mean that you can enter a group or symbol to edit it and either the object's control handles are not aligned with the entities in the object or the handles are visible or there's nothing visible at all and even doing a select all, shows nothing in the info pallet… yet when you exit the symbol or group, everything is back to normal.

There are occasional work arounds… quitting and restarting, closing the drawing and reopening, selecting Unified View and deselecting, changing the view etc, but these work only occasionally. This is a huge time waster and the behaviour is worse with 2019 than 2018. I don't think this is a bug with the graphics card since it happens on laptops as well as desktops.

So while I would not say that it's not worth upgrading to 2019 yet, I would avoid Mojave and 2019 like the plague for some time. Part of the reason for these problems is that Apple have deprecated OpenGL and it appears that VW relies fairly heavily on OpenGl and maybe have not done all the work necessary to make it fully compatible with the new OS. Yes, Apple have caused a lot of problems but not the problem of disappearing objects.

D

I'm running 2019 SP1 on Mojave.  I haven't noticed this issue, most of the problems I've had are minor glitches with the GUI like the black bar in the resource browser which is one of their known issues.  

I get that vector need to create updates regularly to sustain sales but it seems that all release now come with so much frustration and bugs that it may be wise to release less improvements but with better finished features and complete troubleshooting. It’s not fair to any of us who stand behind VW and have to spend countless hours frustrated and not able to respond to deadlines !

• Like 2

Like many of us we hold off upgrading till we'er not so busy, Unfortunately I had to upgrade my Mac to Mojave to make other apps work and has slowed down VW2018 to where its almost unusable. Every Click of the mouse is a pinwheel of slowness. Please let me know if there are any solutions out there either than upgrading to 2019 or wiping the computer and installing High Sierra.

Thanks

Good morning,

What about the users of the non-english version (f.e. German)?

I have read this morning that Vectorworks was planning to release a 2018 SP5 on the 11th of December. Any chance to get a hold of Vectorworks 2019, that seems to be more or less working with Mojave, earlier?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Sam R said:

Okay, thanks. Is it typical that VW drops product support after two yearly releases?

You can check the "Vectorworks Operating System Compatibility List" for what could be considered "typical" support of operation systems. (Windows is far more stable, therefore supported back to Windows 7).

Edited by Nicolas Goutte
7 hours ago, Sam R said:

Okay, thanks. Is it typical that VW drops product support after two yearly releases?

Yes.

It is always the current Release, that will be released a few days before macOS update,

that will get a SP1 later for current macOS compatibility (Seems SP2 in VW 2019 case)

+ the previous VW Version, which gets a SP for compatibility (usually SP5)

(One time there wasn't an SP5 at all, but SP6 !?)

All older Versions will not get any patch.

Edited by zoomer

Well I am screwed!

I was using VW 2016 and updated to Mojave a couple of weeks ago.  I didn't work well so i tried to revert to the High Sierra and couldn't because after I upgraded to Mojave Mac told me that they had to perform a new backup, thus I lost all of my previous backup.  I am stuck with Mojave.  My Vectorworks was working but with some bugs.  I had to be careful.

Since VW told me that they will not upgrade version 2016, I just bought 2019 thinking that I might work a bit better than my version 2016.  And now it is even worst.  I can't see my basic tools, the only palettes i see are the attributes and snapping.  All the other palettes are blank and unusable.  It can't work at all now.  And it is the version with SP1 included.

Should I erase everything, as well as my vectorworks 2016, and restart the installation process?

Thanks,

*** I restarted everything and it seems to work fine ****

Edited by SergeB
Just now, homework said:

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

I fear everyone will experience the same, as unfortunately VW 2016

is not Mojave compatible and never will be.

Mojave support will come soon but only for VW 2019, its predecessor VW 2018

and future VW Versions

*** I restarted everything and it seems to work fine ****

I wonder if this has something to do with your computer.

We have Mojave on two Touch Bar type MacBook Pros with SP1 and Mojave. It totally fails. I also tried a downgrade to High Sierra which also fails as many have pointed out on Mac OS sites.

If you actually work in VW for a living, I'd really suggest waiting to upgrade to Mojave.

On the other hand, VW 2019 appears to work OK on a Mac Pro (2013). I say OK… I have had only one crash in 3 weeks but have all sorts of graphics problems which mean restarts and closing and reopening files.

JC

On 10/21/2018 at 1:24 AM, Ian Graham said:

Don't hold your breath. I turfed Mojave , re installed High Sierra , cost me time and money , but had to be done until this is resolved . VW was unusable and I was going mental 

Also re-installed High Sierra, didn't cost any real money, only my time (whole weekend) :)

Waiting with bated breath here! I always treat Mac OS updates with suspicion, as I think anyone with much experience of them should. As a matter of course I wait and check with forums and colleagues who are also experienced before doing anything this major to my equipment. Luckily I asked my tech manager about Mojave and he advised waiting until VW issues were solved. Expecting VW to send us all emails about potential issues is unrealistic, altho desirable! I never see any NEED to update any OS before it is truly reamed, steamed and dry cleaned... many are finding out the same thing now.

so the new Mac Mini has been released, I have been waiting for this quite a while, obviously it will come with Mojave.  Is there a timeline for VW to be compatible with the new OS.  Alternatively, has anyone (I know nobody has an answer to that today) successfully downgraded new Mac mini to High Sierra?

2 hours ago, TKA said:

so the new Mac Mini has been released, I have been waiting for this quite a while, obviously it will come with Mojave.  Is there a timeline for VW to be compatible with the new OS.  Alternatively, has anyone (I know nobody has an answer to that today) successfully downgraded new Mac mini to High Sierra?

Not likely. I posted the same question to MacRumors in hopes of a miracle, but it seems the 2018 Mini is stuck at 10.14.1 or higher. I know there has been hardware in the past I could downgrade, but I think only if it was released very soon after the OS. But a month likely gave them plenty of time to write measures into the firmware to prevent it.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
14 hours ago, TKA said:

No date so far, however since the new Mac Mini has integrated graphics and no dedicated VRAM, it sadly still falls below the minimum system requirements. They gave it a great CPU and no decent GPU unfortunately.