macOS Mojave (10.14) Compatibility

As I read one of VW 2019s enhancements was the installer update.

a) That there is no more need to go to the download site first and the

installer itself can download directly now, and

b) It will only download the files that have changed and not a complete

installer as it was in the past with previous SPs.

So as the installer was changed, maybe not everything is working as

expected in some cases ?

6 minutes ago, zoomer said:

As I read one of VW 2019s enhancements was the installer update.

a) That there is no more need to go to the download site first and the

installer itself can download directly now, and

b) It will only download the files that have changed and not a complete

installer as it was in the past with previous SPs.

So as the installer was changed, maybe not everything is working as

expected in some cases ?

Not only that, when updating multiple licences on multiple machines its a pain to do.
It was easier to download the update, send to all the computers and then run it without having to open, run then close Vectorworks again. 
This makes an IT admin job more hassle. 

PS i could not find the SP1 download anywhere on the VW  website

Edited by ptoner
Update

The updater worked fine, when it worked.  The issue was that the update utility itself would launch, say it needed to be refreshed, and then quit.  I tried the only thing I hadn't yet, which was disconnecting from the internet and then running the updater.  The updater then launched properly, I reconnected to the internet and checked for an update.  It found and downloaded SP1 and installed with no issues.  SP1 is now installed and functional as far as I can tell.  

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, fabrica said:

there is an option under advanced for offline update - maybe this gives a link to download.....

This is a utility we included for users who are never permitted to access the internet on their work machines. In these instances, we can physically mail them a flash drive with the needed content and they can use this update utility to install the service packs. 

Going forward, we may also be able to use the other functions you see in that menu for more urgent updates, but this is still in the early stages of development and testing. Its a base for hopefully a more agile update process in the future.

• Like 3
On 10/10/2018 at 12:59 AM, Bruce Kieffer said:

Change the release date of Vectorworks so it is some time after the release of a new Mac OS. That way there's plenty of time to make it compatible.

This ^^

Happens every year.  Why can't VW release 2019 in, er, 2019 working with the latest OS.  Having a concurrent release with Mac OS is always a nightmare.

1 minute ago, bpbpbp said:

In the article you link to, Jim from VW says "closed - the discussion has been moved...'  here! So we are in a loop if we follow your link Neil.

The aforementioned article reads at the end: "In addition to the release of Vectorworks 2019 SP1, we are also working on a macOS Mojave service pack for Vectorworks 2018. We hope to have it available later this fall."

I suppose that this quote was meant by @Neil Barman

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That is what I meant @Nicolas Goutte, yes. Thank you for clarifying. Since @Andrew Davies had asked about the plan for VW2018 and Mojave, I thought he might like to see the mention of the plan on that page.

@bpbpbp As for discussion on the topic, that can certainly take place here of course. (And welcome to the Forum by the way!)

2 minutes ago, Christian Fekete said:

Please update (rush) the service pack for VW 2018 to work with Mojave, I installed it without knowing of the issues and nothing works properly. Arrgh
When can we expect to see that?

Don't hold your breath. I turfed Mojave , re installed High Sierra , cost me time and money , but had to be done until this is resolved . VW was unusable and I was going mental 

I turfed Mojave , re installed High Sierra , cost me time and money , but had to be done until this is resolved

Agreed. After dragging two laptops on an overseas trip, one with Mojave running emails and the other with High Sierra running VW 2019, I should remind myself to wait 6 months before installing any update for VW.

The alternative is that VW gives Service Select members a 6 months free period and updates VW six months after each Apple upgrade. As software developers who use both VW and Mac OS, having one incompatible with the other is a nightmare.

I updated a Mac running Mojave with the SP1 version of 2019 very unsuccessfully. The app loads but bombs instantly when opening anything, including creating a new empty drawing from VW's one template. The SP2 update better work OK!

D

Thankfully, my new MacBook Pro that arrived last week came loaded with High Sierra. 

Was thinking of going to Mojave now SP1 is out, but I’m doing some work which relies on VWX 2018 - so will hold off. 

No real reason to upgrade to Mojave. Only a few minor improvements that I have read about. Dark mode is nothing major and a couple of extra features in the finder.  Not worth risking it. 

4 hours ago, DMcD said:

Agreed. After dragging two laptops on an overseas trip, one with Mojave running emails and the other with High Sierra running VW 2019, I should remind myself to wait 6 months before installing any update for VW.

The alternative is that VW gives Service Select members a 6 months free period and updates VW six months after each Apple upgrade. As software developers who use both VW and Mac OS, having one incompatible with the other is a nightmare.

I updated a Mac running Mojave with the SP1 version of 2019 very unsuccessfully. The app loads but bombs instantly when opening anything, including creating a new empty drawing from VW's one template. The SP2 update better work OK!

D

I have been using 2019 SP1 with success.  Its not perfect, but its functional.  To get mine to work I did have to jump through some hoops:

1. Uninstall existing 2019 installation

2. Trash leftover 2019 files in the Library folder

3. Reinstall 2019 SP0 downloaded from Service Select site.

4. Disconnect from internet, launch updater. (When connected to internet updater utility gave a message that it needed to be refreshed, downloaded something, then shut down and did this over and over.  I discovered disconnecting from internet made updater launch correctly).

5. Reconnect to internet, check for updates, download SP1.

6. Successful install of SP1 and I was up and running.

That being said, it does seem that having the VW release timed to come out after the macOS release would be a prudent choice, as forcing people who are traditionally early adopters to wait to update their OS is annoying to say the least.  The same people who downloaded VW2019 the morning it was released are likely some of the same people who are going to download the new macOS within a week of release.