macOS Mojave (10.14) Compatibility

9 hours ago, Andrew Davies said:

I’m taking delivery of a new MacBook Pro in a couple of weeks.

Would you mind talking through the steps to install High Sierra?  Do I need a bootable USB image of High Sierra?

Try https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/restore . I have not been able to confirm thru Apple Support. So when you get you new MacBook Pro call apple care first and check to see if High Sierra will be listed. We all await your results. Change is opportunity. Congratulations.

• Like 1
On 9/29/2018 at 4:35 AM, Thiselton said:

This kind of generalization on the difference between Mac and pc users is not helpful or germane to the conversation at hand. 

I agree that it's not germane, since the real problem is VectorWorks communication - I didn't even see a warning until I downloaded 2019 and noticed the little red bell at the top when I opened the first file in it. An e-mail wouldn't have killed them. Nor would an apology now, but of course they'd rather blame Apple and VWX customers than even consider taking any kind of responsibility.  

Also, all of these folks commenting about how 'everyone knows' you don't upgrade your OS until three service packs in are - well, lets just say they must have more time to focus on how the computer software industry works than I do. I mean, thanks for the free advice and all, but seriously, I've got too much work to do to hang out in tech forums. I'm a one-man company, and if I'm paying $7k for software with a $700 yearly subscription, I just want the software to work. As a designer, I totally cop to not being interested one iota in how the tech magic happens, anymore than a carpenter is interested in how a hammer is forged. If Vectorworks can't be bothered to take care of small shops with something as simple as an e-mail, they are going to have to write off whole industries. In entertainment (where Vectorworks is currently the favored software, followed by AutoCad and Sketchup, and Macs are the hardware of choice) we are independent contractors running one-man shows that are hired in by large companies - we don't have the luxury of a technical support department or the time to become one, and time spent figuring out how to deal with your software problems can be just as easily spent learning your competition's software, which doesn't seem to be having the same issues. 

And PS - I haven't had any pressure to upgrade my OS to Mojave from Apple, but I did have Vectorworks rushing me into installing 2019. Maybe back off of that until you know it works?       

Edited by R. Broadfoot
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Where is the self responsibility to determine the applications you use is compatible with an operating system? This is not just for Vectorworks, but any application. @R. BroadfootHow did Vectorworks rush you into installing 2019?  Did they force you to download and install it on your machine?  They did the same promotion as Apple does when a new OS is out.  I have received Apple and Vectorworks emails touting the newest release and nowhere in those emails have they made me install the latest release.

Yes you are paying a service fee every year to be up to date with the latest release as well as other services provided by Vectorworks.  But You are not required to solely use that version from the moment you install it.  I use both 2018 and 2019 depending on what project I am working on.  

And to correct you, you do have access to top notch technical support provided by the folks at Vectorworks.  They have always been first class in helping with any problem thrown at them.  Sometimes those are bugs, and those bugs will get forwarded to the engineers to squash.

You claim to not caring how the magic happens to make the application work, but how is anyone to determine how that tech magic happens until they find out why it is not working?  Clearly apple has done a lot of changes under the hood to not allow an application that works in 10.13 to fall apart in 10.14.  That is what the engineers at Vectorworks do after the official OS has released.  They figure out what apple has changed and patch it in their service packs.  I have met many of the engineers at Design Summit, they are just human like the rest of us.  They work very hard to make Vectorworks run and do the tech magic we all depend on.

Rob

• Like 4
  • Dislike 2
1 hour ago, rgcn said:

Where is the self responsibility to determine the applications you use is compatible with an operating system? This is not just for Vectorworks, but any application. @R. BroadfootHow did Vectorworks rush you into installing 2019?  Did they force you to download and install it on your machine?  They did the same promotion as Apple does when a new OS is out.  I have received Apple and Vectorworks emails touting the newest release and nowhere in those emails have they made me install the latest release.

Yes you are paying a service fee every year to be up to date with the latest release as well as other services provided by Vectorworks.  But You are not required to solely use that version from the moment you install it.  I use both 2018 and 2019 depending on what project I am working on.  

And to correct you, you do have access to top notch technical support provided by the folks at Vectorworks.  They have always been first class in helping with any problem thrown at them.  Sometimes those are bugs, and those bugs will get forwarded to the engineers to squash.

You claim to not caring how the magic happens to make the application work, but how is anyone to determine how that tech magic happens until they find out why it is not working?  Clearly apple has done a lot of changes under the hood to not allow an application that works in 10.13 to fall apart in 10.14.  That is what the engineers at Vectorworks do after the official OS has released.  They figure out what apple has changed and patch it in their service packs.  I have met many of the engineers at Design Summit, they are just human like the rest of us.  They work very hard to make Vectorworks run and do the tech magic we all depend on.

Rob

You're going to lecture a total stranger about personal responsibility? I DID check the system compatibility - when I bought the software. If the company I bought that software changes the software so that it ISN'T compatible with my operating system (or the upcoming update to my operating system) don't you think they should maybe mention that? 

I'm not here blaming engineers - I have complete respect for the job that they do. What I am saying is that if the SALES department can get out an e-mail every three days telling me "2019 is here, don't miss the boat!" , then the technical support department should be able to get out an e-mail letting folks know that they might want to hold off on installing it until some bugs are worked out. I haven't upgraded to Mojave yet, the point is that I WOULDN'T HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THE PROBLEM UNTIL AFTER I DOWNLOADED VWX 2019 if I had. That's just bad customer service. It has nothing to do with the engineers, so don't make it out like I'm some jerk blaming my problems on the people trying to help me. I don't think I'm being unreasonable to point out that they should have communicated directly with users by e-mail about the issues, and I think I am entitled to know a timeline for when the problems will be sorted so I can get on with the business of upgrading my equipment. I don't want to waste my client's time jumping around between versions of the software, or space in my hard drive generating and tracking multiple versions of the same file. Just a notice of the problem and a timeline for fixing it. Why is that too complicated?  

Edited by R. Broadfoot
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, R. Broadfoot said:

I'm not here blaming engineers - I have complete respect for the job that they do. What I am saying is that if the SALES department can get out an e-mail every three days telling me "2019 is here, don't miss the boat!" , then the technical support department should be able to get out an e-mail letting folks know that they might want to hold off on installing it until some bugs are worked out. I haven't upgraded to Mojave yet, the point is that I WOULDN'T HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THE PROBLEM UNTIL AFTER I DOWNLOADED VWX 2019 if I had. That's just bad customer service.

That is it in a nutshell. Bad Customer service and management. They knew of issues back in July... there really no excuse for Vectorworks not emailing VSS users about the issue. God knows I get inundated with emails of conferences in America, new features and case studies etc. Why not a clear and concise one about non compatibility with Mojave? Its easy to do! Then of course the issue that they do not set about fixing problems, that they discovered in July.... in order to make it more compatible or even alert Apple of issues, which it seems they have only just done.
Lucky I only upgraded one machine to Mojave and installed 2019 on it. Then discovered the issues. The rest of our 30+ computers are fine. But that is not the point here. There was no adequate awareness to consumers. 
To be honest our Architectural office has been getting fed up with issues like this and has already instigated a switch to another Nemetchek CAD suite, in the last month.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Tim Norman said:

Dear Vectorworks 

Do you have a time scale on this? I have just made the mistake of upgrading to discover the significant bugs. Very keen to understand how this going.

Can you please update. 

Thanks

Tim , I took Mojave OS off , reinstalled High Sierra  , spent a day doing it , but I won't install Mojave for a while , I typically wait , didn't  this time and it was a disaster . In my opinion , my only option at this time . Ian

I just completed the update.

When I finished the update tp (SP1) I got an error message; "An unknown error has occurred. Please contact technical support.", the message also stated that i was trying to install SP0. Weirdness.

I didn't contact VectorWorks, instead I closed the window, restarted VectorWorks 2019 and it seems to be working OK with Mojave OS!

I appreciate the update, wish I didn't waste so much time and energy.

Edited by Scott Van
1 hour ago, BryanNaegele said:

@Bruce Kieffer Yes, quit Vectorworks, uninstalled and reinstalled, booted into Safe Boot.  The updater won't even download the SP1 update.  The updater itself runs an update, then quits.

^ When you go to Vectorworks>About Vectorworks what version does it say is running in the dialog? When you reinstalled, did you do it from a newly downloaded copy? Is there a chance you inadvertently reinstalled using VW2019 SP1 installer and that's why the updater won't run.

Kevin