macOS Mojave (10.14) Compatibility

Richard

I'll let @JimW give the "official" response.  But as a long time user of VW, I can tell you that it is never a good idea to run a beta Mac OS or a brand new Mac OS with Vectorworks.

Historically, Apple in general hasn't been shy about changing or deprecating functions in the OS that break things in a significant way for the existing user base.  In the past, VW has updated the existing version and the new version within weeks or a month or two to run on the new Mac OS.  

Vectorworks is a big program and Apple sometimes changes the final release in surprising ways from the beta.  OS 10.14 has been out for less than a week.  Rushing out a service pack without testing it could introduce more problems.

Judging by past years, the service pack to address Mac OS 10.14 is being worked on and will be released as soon as they can.

On my production machines, I NEVER run the new Mac OS until the kinks are worked out of the OS and VW has had time to issue a service pack to address that OS.

• Like 1

I am using Vectorworks 2016 and I've read earlier in the comments that there is no intention to create a patch for Vectorworks 2016 on Max OS Mojave - Could someone official from Vectorworks please confirm if this is the case?

I did not invest in this software to be told not even three years down the line it's no longer supported.

We are talking thousands of pounds here, it's simply not on. 

We aren't all sodding architects. I don't need all the fancy new features I just need a program that's stable and allows me to do my job. 

• Like 1

Thats all fine & good but how would I know that this advice was posted on a bulletin board!  VW holds all email addresses...surely an email warning would have been more direct, helpful and saved users a lot of trouble/heartache. Sorry, but not good enough VW.

ps. make no mistake, I love the programme and have used it since it's inception, its the main reason for the passionate outcry.

• Like 1

I am not from Vectorworks - but I have heard that there are only plans to make v2018 and v2019 Mojave compatible (please correct me if I am wrong Vectorworks).  VWX 2016 is still supported - not just on the latest OS X release.  It should be fine on High Sierra.

It may be worth you looking at a VSS subscription which would entitle you to the latest version each time it is released.  What I pay to VSS is a fraction of what I spend on computer hardware - plus you get symbol libraries and better support too.

For me - as much as I am keen to update to Mojave, if it came down to update OS X or update VWX - I would upgrade VWX every time.

Andrew

• Like 3

A quick scan of the ol’ google and it would appear archicad 19 ain’t getting a patch either - the last one being June 20, 2017.

You can’t expect a small company (compared to say, Autodesk) with in a small highly competitive industry to dedicate resources to old software while trying to keep on top of bugs and developing software to keep users happy and stay competitive - especially on macOS where Apple have been pretty cutthrought in drawing lines in the sand to keep old software by other vendors going. OS development is beyond everyone’s control and companies need to make hard decisions, otherwise they go bust and there won’t be any more software...

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1
12 hours ago, Jackanory said:

I am using Vectorworks 2016 and I've read earlier in the comments that there is no intention to create a patch for Vectorworks 2016 on Max OS Mojave - Could someone official from Vectorworks please confirm if this is the case?

I am not from Vectorworks either, but you can check the compatibility list. As already macOS 10.13 is not supported for VW 2016, there is little chance macOS 10.14 will ever be (for VW 2016).

14 hours ago, Jackanory said:

We aren't all sodding architects. I don't need all the fancy new features I just need a program that's stable and allows me to do my job. 

Hey 👋🏻 

i readed that you can be an architect even with high sierra OS, you know? 🙂

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
16 hours ago, Jackanory said:

I did not invest in this software to be told not even three years down the line it's no longer supported.

It will work just fine on the OS versions it supported as of it's last service pack. Updating macOS is not (fortunately) mandatory, so there is no risk of compatibility loss unless you choose to use a different OS.

• Dislike 1
On 9/28/2018 at 8:55 PM, Ksenia said:

I'm just doing 2D things in Spotlight, lighting plot and such, but sounds like most functions are just not working with Mojave? 

Vectorworks 2018 and 2019 both run, but very poorly on Mojave. I would advise gettinga new machine that only has Mojave for at least the time being until an update is released.

If you're worried about compatibility in general, the Windows side is a much safer bet, you cans till run versions of Vectorworks from nearly a decade ago on Windows 10. Microsoft kills backwards compatibility way less frequently than Apple does.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Richard Austin said:

Thats all fine & good but how would I know that this advice was posted on a bulletin board!  VW holds all email addresses...surely an email warning would have been more direct, helpful and saved users a lot of trouble/heartache. Sorry, but not good enough VW.

The alert was also sent out via the Message Center in the software itself. We may do emails as well next time Apple does a major update as well. Going forward, it's always best to check compatibility, and generally if you don't want to check each application one by one then just refrain from adopting the latest OS updates early on. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Is it a Symbol migrated from a previous VW Version and does it work

better with Symbols created in VW 2019 from scratch?

I had to switch down OpenGL from max Performance to middle setting

to be able to see SL VPs properly.

(I think that will disable all new VP GPU acceleration completely though ?)

But I am on Mojave. Does that work for you ?

Edited by zoomer
13 hours ago, Andrew Davies said:

So many hangs and oddities.

Yes, now I experience the same issues with minute-long lags.

(Looks it gets worse as longer as you work in your file)

Hadn't notice that at first when just entering files for a few minutes for testing only.

But I can confirm,

you can't definitely NOT work with VW on Mojave so far.

Hope there is a SP before November.

(Yesterday I nearly destroyed my 1 and only High Sierra, Mojave- Emergency Backup

with my monthly Backup strategy)

🤣

• Like 1
On 9/28/2018 at 8:55 PM, Ksenia said:

Forum newbie, thanks for putting up with me!

Thanks so much for all this information, Jim. I'm in the middle of computer shopping (it's been a long time coming) and was like 99% sold on a new MacBook - but that will come with Mojave only. I've had various timing issues between getting my license and having a computer that works and things (all of which I'm responsible for, it's been a crazy few months) but am now basically left in the situation of having drafting deadlines approaching, student license being done, and my current computer being unable to run my new 2019 license because it's just too old. 

So it sounds like using Bootcamp and buying a Windows 10 OS of my own is the best way around this in order to keep working for the next month or so? (Or, I guess, making my next laptop a PC instead...don't really want to make this the defining factor in my decision unless necessary though.) I'm just doing 2D things in Spotlight, lighting plot and such, but sounds like most functions are just not working with Mojave? Just wanted to check that I understand the situation. Sorry if this is not an appropriate way to ask this question.

Ksenia, good catch. i was getting ready to purchase a new 2018 macbook pro to replace my old 2010 mac pro and work on the road. I just assumed it would come with OS 10.13.6. Guess we will have to wait for vectorworks to catch up. I confess to a DUH moment. Thank you.

• Like 1

If you need a new Mac and you run Vectorworks your going to have to buy reconditioned, used or wait until the end of year. Since new Imacs and Macbook pros come preloaded with 10.14 preinstalled. I just called Apple and the Apple person didn’t know what the OS was so they are really are no help. I also stopped at Best Buy and the Apple sales people also didn’t t know what system was on any of the macs in the store or why it even mattered. Apple is not helping anyone with 10.14.

1 hour ago, rjtiedeman said:

If you need a new Mac and you run Vectorworks your going to have to buy reconditioned, used or wait until the end of year. Since new Imacs and Macbook pros come preloaded with 10.14 preinstalled. I just called Apple and the Apple person didn’t know what the OS was so they are really are no help. I also stopped at Best Buy and the Apple sales people also didn’t t know what system was on any of the macs in the store or why it even mattered. Apple is not helping anyone with 10.14.

You can probably ask the salesperson at Best Buy or Apple to find out how long a model new in box has been sitting in their store since the serial number is most likely printed on the box and they would have that logged.  If the computer arrived before September 24th it will still have High Sierra on it.

Rob

I recently bought a new machine that came with Mojave and it was fairly easy to just erase the drive and install High Sierra on a brand new machine..

The hard part is for someone who has updated to Mojave, to roll back to High Sierra on a machine that has been extensively set up and contains many files..

At the moment, as far as I am aware, no currently shipping machine that ships with Mojave is incompatible with High Sierra..

Comments?

Edited by dtheory
  • Like 1
On 10/2/2018 at 9:14 PM, zoomer said:

Yes, now I experience the same issues with minute-long lags.

(Looks it gets worse as longer as you work in your file)

Hadn't notice that at first when just entering files for a few minutes for testing only. 

Also finding this to be the case @zoomer - More hangups the longer I'm in a file in 2019, or with more than one drawing open (on High Sierra). Even doing simple tasks like switching between sheets, or going into or out of a viewport. Memory leak perhaps?