macOS Mojave (10.14) Compatibility

Fanboy attitudes like yours Aspect_Design do not help, the fact that other packages, for example ARCHICAD (version 22), have been working closely with Apples betas and is very useable, apart from a few minor bugs. They do not recommend upgrading but at least have work arounds in place and development ongoing. Vectorworks met Mojave with silence, in the most part. Unless of course you were a member on here. Yet they have been aware of it for 3 months, 3  months with no movement or further information.
Not developing at least a workable 2018, with minor bugs, is very poor regardless.

• Like 1

Lol fanboy... seriously, what is so amazing in Mojave that you just have to have it? I love new bells and whistles, but if it affects my income I’m not going there. If you browse my recent posts you’ll see I’m far from a fanboy. 

A few years back I upgraded my recording hardware with a new product from a long-standing audio manufacturer and a new OS rolled around - after six months of promises and no drivers it was getting annoying, but after 12 months it was frustrating considering the DAW software was moving on (these companies are VERY small) the hardware line was promptly discontinued with no driver support - so I know how this goes. At least in this game I don’t have worry about outboard hardware obsolescence... and in the grand scheme of things wating a few months for VW to work is nothing by comparison..

Like I said, all software works and is coded differently and I can only assume archicad is considerably different than vectorworks, so you are comparing apples with oranges, let alone the completely different development cycles of both.

Jim has said its being worked on - so I’m not sure what more you want. I’m more concerned about the number of serious bugs highlighted after a week of 2019’s release than Mojave or Windows 10 1809 compatibility. 

Edited by Aspect_Design
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Aspect_Design said:

Like I said, all software works and is coded differently and I can only assume archicad is considerably different than vectorworks, so you are comparing apples with oranges

And why exactly do all these other 3D DCC Oranges,

beside Steinberg and Vectorworks Apples,

that have at least similar CPU and GPU usage and complexity,

all work flawlessly after every macOS Update ?

I am loyal to Vectorworks having invested so much time in it - but I do find myself thinking about straying more and more so.  Finding odd behaviour etc in v2019 which I am sure wasn't there in v2018 (see my post of earlier today)  if it hadn't been for the support this forum / Jim W gives I probably would have done already.

Problem is - no decent alternative as far as I can see.  Needs to be 3D and to have the various Spotlight features (Projection tools etc) - then rendering too.

When you put it like that - Vectorworks does pack A LOT into one package

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Barrett H said:

The biggest issue is I can't even select the text tool without a total freeze and need to force quit.

Beside that I am very unexperienced with the Text Tool and still not

get the its workflow (Why not get out of it by ENTER and do SHIFT ENTERs in Texts ?)

I tried it and after some chaos before using any Text Style, it seems to behave as

designed for me. I see no lags or special behavior here (?)

(Beside that it was always special for me)

13 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Beside that I am very unexperienced with the Text Tool and still not

get the its workflow (Why not get out of it by ENTER and do SHIFT ENTERs in Texts ?)

I tried it and after some chaos before using any Text Style, it seems to behave as

designed for me. I see no lags or special behavior here (?)

(Beside that it was always special for me)

Good idea and would possibly work with a brand new blank file where I would just not use any text anywhere (which would be hard to do on any drawing) but I start with templates and need to work on existing drawings which all have some text in them and there's no way for me to even click and select the text without spinning wheel of death and having to force quit so I'm stuck not being able to work on any existing files or any files with any text anywhere.

Looking at release history, it seems like the pattern is the first Service Pack being released around a month after initial release. Maybe I can wait it out and hope that's the fix for Mojave. In the meantime, trying to weigh the options between wiping my entire HD and rolling back vs. installing VW on my wife's old 12" MacBook (which is going to be painfully slow with large files and forget trying any Renderworks)

Guess I'll follow these forums from here on out -- I do agree with others who have suggested an email to users who do not read the tech bulletins warning not to update would be a great thing to get from VW.

Thank you to everyone on here with a lot more experience for helping people like me try to solve issues. I appreciate it!

The problem here, for me anyway, is not that Vectorworks is not currently compatible with Mojave; or that some of us have upgraded to Mojave without realizing the incompatibility-  It is Vectorworks' failure to communicate.  

If Vectorworks can send an email notifying me that 2019 is here and available;  it also could have sent an email urging users not to upgrade to Mojave.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Barrett H said:

Good idea and would possibly work with a brand new blank file where I would just not use any text anywhere

Ah yes, I just tested in a blank file ...

Or are there maybe again problems with Objects or Styles migrated

from previous VW Versions ?

Edited by zoomer

@zoomer 

35 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Ah yes, I just tested in a blank file ...

Or are there maybe again problems with Objects or Styles migrated

from previous VW Versions ?

I thought that might be the issue as well so first I tried to reset all vwx prefs as recommended below, but that was not the solve so then I uninstalled and re-installed and chose not to migrate any user settings etc. and still have the same issue 🙁

Well, I see quite some lags when changing a Font Type.

But I did not meant Settings and Workspace Migration (I did that too)

But just Styles and PIO Objects in a File that came from Previous Versions.

I think it was 2018 (and or 2017) where I had large problems with e.g.

migrated Column Styles until every Column had become a new 2018 Style

completely made from scratch.

12 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Well, I see quite some lags when changing a Font Type.

But I did not meant Settings and Workspace Migration (I did that too)

But just Styles and PIO Objects in a File that came from Previous Versions.

I think it was 2018 (and or 2017) where I had large problems with e.g.

migrated Column Styles until every Column had become a new 2018 Style

completely made from scratch.

Understood. However just now with a fresh install and not even trying to open any older/existing files I choose New > Create blank document and then try to use the text tool I get the same crash. I did find that if I hide the OIP I can then use the tool briefly before getting the death pinwheel. Maybe my best option is to borrow collegue's Mac who has VWX (since I'm limited with my single user seat and can't just go installing on any machine) without Mojave, open any old or current files that I need to work on, delete any text then save the file and hope it's usable on my Mojave machine and add any text onto a published pdf using Preview. Being a freelancer without a design firm or any support makes this difficult for sure. Can't wait to chat with the VWX reps at LDI in Vegas in a few weeks and get some insight into how they go about dealing with betas and such. Maybe they'll let me use one of their demo machines -- I'm only half joking -- it might come to that haha

I really don’t understood the complaints that Vectorworks isn’t compatible with the latest OS right out of the gate. I think Jim has explained it well every year that they never know how Vectorworks will perform until Apple releases the public release of thei OS. 

I for one would never install the latest OS on my work dependant machine until I knew all the kinks were worked out with ALL applications I depend on to do my daily professional work. 

Demanding Vectorworks make their in beta application work with an in beta OS seems ridiculous. I’d rather Vectorworks work in the current OS and be able to do my job. 

Patience, the OS will become compatible with Vectorworks. 

Rob

• Like 4

Hello all , I am here as I just installed Mojave and Vectorworks 2017 is crashing like crazy , super slow etc . Typically I am instructed to wait until all things are sorted out , I didn't, I regret it . 

Question:

I am running vectorworks Architect 2017 , should I upgrade to 2019 , wil it be better with Mojave , or equally as bad 

Reverting back to High Sierra seems like a big task as well with a lot of chaos 

Any help is appreciated 

Ian

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 minute ago, Ian Graham said:

I am here as I just installed Mojave and Vectorworks 2017 is crashing like crazy ,

Vectorworks 2017 is not and will not be made compatible with Mojave. Vectorworks 2018 and 2019 do not currently work with the latest macOS, but we will be announcing when they do. For the time being for those who adopted early and simply need to get working again:

https://macpaw.com/how-to/downgrade-from-mojave

1 minute ago, Ian Graham said:

Hello all , I am here as I just installed Mojave and Vectorworks 2017 is crashing like crazy , super slow etc . Typically I am instructed to wait until all things are sorted out , I didn't, I regret it . 

Question:

I am running vectorworks Architect 2017 , should I upgrade to 2019 , wil it be better with Mojave , or equally as bad 

Reverting back to High Sierra seems like a big task as well with a lot of chaos 

Any help is appreciated 

Ian

Revert to High Sierra or get another machine with it on it. 
I tried parallels desktop, with an installation of OSX 10.13 and there was weird zooming and selection issues. So do not waste your time with that.
I now just screen share to a spare iMac with OSX 10.13 and Vectorworks 2018. Works as well as can be expected over the network. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

Vectorworks 2017 is not and will not be made compatible with Mojave. Vectorworks 2018 and 2019 do not currently work with the latest macOS, but we will be announcing when they do. For the time being for those who adopted early and simply need to get working again:

https://macpaw.com/how-to/downgrade-from-mojave

Jim, I am looking g at reverting back to High Sierra,  in the meantime would it be better if I upgrade to 2019 with Mojave , I realize not fully compatible , but will it be better than 2017  ?   Ugh 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 minute ago, Todd McCurdy said:

Not everyone hangs out here.

To permanently solve this issue for everyone who had this happen to them this year, go here:
https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/forum/71-news-you-need/

And follow the subforum itself at the top. That ensures that you will be alerted well in advance of most other communication systems of important info. I try to push things out as soon as possible and often succeed. In your notification settings, you can configure it to send you an email, so even if you never come to the forums normally, the important stuff will come right to your inbox.

In the future, the forum accounts, VSS accounts, Message Center etc will all be linked into one account and make this kind of thing much smoother, but for now subscribing to a subforum is the quickest way to stay ahead.