macOS Mojave (10.14) Compatibility

4 minutes ago, Sky said:

I would like to upgrade to Mojave, but I still use VW2017 to import Revit kitchen equipment files because importing doesn’t work properly on VW 2018 or 2019. Does anyone know if 2017 works well enough on Mojave to just import a Revit object and save the file?

Have you contacted anyone at Vectorworks to look at the revit files you are having issue importing into 2018 and 2019? If its a bug, those files could inform them on what needs to be fixed.

Rob

@rgcnI let them know about it when 2018 came out. They still haven't fixed it.

@shorter I can't control what format kitchen equipment manufacturers make their products available in. Some provide in DXF/DWG and others provide in Revit. They aren't going to make a special file format just because my software doesn't import Revit properly. 

• Like 1

What? Why not? And why should your software import Revit files? There are dozens out there thy don’t.

if a manufacturer does not issue IfC they are the loser ultimately.

i am not arguing they should issue vw files but issuing rvt is like someone issuing a pagemaker or indesign file rather than the pdf.

short-sighted and ignorant.

we ban revit as a file exchange format on our projects.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
20 minutes ago, Sky said:

I would like to upgrade to Mojave, but I still use VW2017 to import Revit kitchen equipment files because importing doesn’t work properly on VW 2018 or 2019. Does anyone know if 2017 works well enough on Mojave to just import a Revit object and save the file?

Same thing is happening in 2019 SP2? I have 6-8 various bugs related to Revit import on the changelist here between 2019 sp1 and 2019 sp2

1 minute ago, shorter said:

we ban revit as a file exchange format on our projects.

Unfortunately a lot of people aren't able to fully control where their workload comes from or goes. No reason to argue these points though, all about getting a solution that works for @Sky however it comes.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Sky said:

@rgcnI let them know about it when 2018 came out. They still haven't fixed it.

@shorter I can't control what format kitchen equipment manufacturers make their products available in. Some provide in DXF/DWG and others provide in Revit. They aren't going to make a special file format just because my software doesn't import Revit properly. 

If you properly hound manufacturers (respectfully of course) you may find that they are willing to learn new ways of getting their equipment out to other formats.  Myself and a colleague have successfully convinced some manufacturers to include Vectorworks native objects in their libraries.  Its not always easy but its beneficial to get more manufacturers friendly with Vectorworks.  The more folks we have out there persuading these companies the better.

Rob

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Jim Wilson said:

Unfortunately a lot of people aren't able to fully control where their workload comes from or goes. No reason to argue these points though, all about getting a solution that works for @Sky however it comes.

Do you mean ‘no reason not to argue these points’?

the less we insist on ifc the less chance we will get it. Rvt file format does not get a mention as the primary file exchange format in my BEP. One thing it does do is initiate the discussion about IFC exchange even if rvt consultants decide to issue rvt files between themselves.  No problem with that as long as they can guarantee the same geometry exists in the ifc.

that said if you are saddled with a rvt file from someone and you cannot get an ifc find a mate with rvt and get them to export it to ifc.

same result ultimately since any rvt specific functionality will be lost but that’s to be expected.

@shorter I'm glad you have the luxury of banning a file format; I do not. Your comments are condescending and unhelpful. Please keep your opinions about my work and how I use Vectorworks to yourself next time. 

@rgcn If I had to contact every restaurant kitchen equipment manufacturer to produce files for me that I can use in my projects, I would never get my work done. Do you know how much equipment goes into even the smallest restaurants?  And how many different manufacturers there are? 

I DON'T KNOW WHY I HAVE TO DEFEND MY ARCHITECTURAL PRACTICE ON THIS "SUPPORT" FORUM. INSTEAD OF SUPPORT, PEOPLE EXPRESS DISDAIN FOR MY NEEDS AND MY PRACTICE!!!! WTF GUYS?!?

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, shorter said:

Do you mean ‘no reason not to argue these points’?

the less we insist on ifc the less chance we will get it. Rvt file format does not get a mention as the primary file exchange format in my BEP. One thing it does do is initiate the discussion about IFC exchange even if rvt consultants decide to issue rvt files between themselves.  No problem with that as long as they can guarantee the same geometry exists in the ifc.

that said if you are saddled with a rvt file from someone and you cannot get an ifc find a mate with rvt and get them to export it to ifc.

same result ultimately since any rvt specific functionality will be lost but that’s to be expected.

@Sky came here because they are hitting a wall and need help over it. Im sure if they could have avoided Revit entirely already, they would have.

6 minutes ago, Sky said:

I DON'T KNOW WHY I HAVE TO DEFEND MY ARCHITECTURAL PRACTICE ON THIS "SUPPORT" FORUM

Of course you don't. Please excuse the above. Did you happen to have the same problem importing those revit files after 2019 sp2 was released? If you havent had a chance to try it yet, please send me the files I can do so for you.

• Like 1

Whoa - back up the bus a minute! I'm not seeing any attacks on your practice or how you work. rgcn's post is a 'nothing ventured nothing gained' scenario - if you don't ask you'll never know - I think we all understand we can't email everybody, but sometimes a friendly email to a supplier you use the most might yield a positive response and go a small way to making life easier... if not then nothing changes.

As a former revit user I can attest to manufacturers families being badly made and shonky - I've had to fix a number of them - and when I've emailed the company the fixed file, I heard  nothing but crickets - and the shonky file doesn't get updated. Not all things are created equal in any platform... I worked at a practice where the architect was using slabs to make garage doors....

Unfortunately, Autodesk are only adding IFC compatibility because they have to ... they certainly don't look like they want to embrace it. 

Here in NZ, there is virtually nothing for VW outside the included library... I have to make it all myself, so I totally get your frustration

Edited by Aspect_Design
  • Like 1

@Aspect_Design This is sooooooooo far off topic. All I asked is if 2017 Vectorworks Revit import will still work if I upgrade to Mojave. I don't have time to contact 30 different manufacturers for every restaurant I work on. And I didn't post on this forum to be a part of someone else's agenda to promote an open format. It is ridiculous for people to suggest that the answer to my problem is to contact EVERY RESTAURANT EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER!?! This is not support. This is not helpful. This is not realistic. This is a waste of time.

@Jim Wilson After SP2, Revit equipment files are still not importing properly. I can see the objects as they import, but once it is finished, there is nothing there. This is the first thing I check every time a new SP comes out. I would post the file here, but RFA files are not allowed. You can download the a revit file for a True Mfg refrigerator here: http://truefoodservice.kclcad.com/Mobile/?search=T-43

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Sky said:

After SP2, Revit equipment files are still not importing properly. I can see the objects as they import, but once it is finished, there is nothing there. This is the first thing I check every time a new SP comes out.

Thank you for that, I was indeed able to replicate this as well. I will make sure this is filed properly as thats a long time for this to have gone unfixed.

As for 2017, I have heard that users were able to open it but that the UI was very, very strange and deformed. However, if you are literally just opening 2017, importing the RFA, then saving and bringing that into 2019 it may be just capable enough on Mojave. I will test with one of the mojave macs here, stand by.

Ok, so I have made the decision to go where no other man has dared go: Mojave 

That desert that is causing Vectorworks users much consternation.

I have decided to take that plunge because progress is not always an easy path and that I can see that this company is trying, and that they truly care about the end users.

Let us move forward step by step, and contribute when we can to edification and progress.  

Let us admit, both users as well as creators, that some things in life are beyond our control, lets meet in the middle, shall we?

So far I am not having any issue, but my OS update was yesterday.  Today is another day.

Did the same and d'loaded SP2 and Mojave yesterday. So far so good. I could have sworn I saw a post here somewhere about someone else doing this, yet still getting the spinner when drawing arc lines... That post seems to have been swallowed up by legions of Revit nonsense... I am having no such issues, but time may tell. Running lower spec iMac Pro BTW...

1 hour ago, Sky said:

If I had to contact every restaurant kitchen equipment manufacturer to produce files for me that I can use in my projects, I would never get my work done. Do you know how much equipment goes into even the smallest restaurants?  And how many different manufacturers there are? 

I DON'T KNOW WHY I HAVE TO DEFEND MY ARCHITECTURAL PRACTICE ON THIS "SUPPORT" FORUM. INSTEAD OF SUPPORT, PEOPLE EXPRESS DISDAIN FOR MY NEEDS AND MY PRACTICE!!!! WTF GUYS?!?

I too design a lot of commercial kitchens, I have a boiler plate letter that I will send to manufacturers, it takes a whole 3 minutes to format it to the specific manufacturer. If they bite and send a reply I will point them in the right direction if need be, or they will thank me and start looking into it.  I have received positive feedback for doing so.  I have also reached out to BIMobject to persuade their manufacturers to produce more Vectorworks content.

I don't know how you took my comments as disdain for your needs, I was merely making a suggestion to help promote the application we all choose to use in these professions and hopefully help you find the native Vectorworks files you needed.

Rob

Edited by rgcn
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Sky said:

It looks like this is still possible. Nothing got in my way on Mojave in 2017 badly enough that I could not import the RFA and then save that file and bring it into 2018 or 2019.

I have also edited the forum permissions so that RFAs can be directly uploaded in the future.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sky said:

You can download the a revit file for a True Mfg refrigerator here: http://truefoodservice.kclcad.com/Mobile/?search=T-43

Not sure if this helps in the short term while VW fixes that bug but I downloaded a DWG from that same link and it imported into VW 2019 SP2 on Mac OS 10.13.6* with no issues. BTW I use these double doors for events from time to time, so thanks for the link.

*Understanding that this is a Mojave thread, just want to clarify that I'm on HS until 10.14.3 x 2019 SP3

1328690917_ScreenShot2018-11-21at2_32_55PM.thumb.png.9be169da3cc2abe620a74954928db9e5.png

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 1

I have been testing Vectorworks 2019 on Mojave on a desktop before rolling it out to the remainder of the office. My major issue was polyline crashing, when closing the polyline, which has been resolved. All our desktop users, 30+ are on High Sierra currently. I will be upgrading 2018 & installing 2019 over the next week. Then before Xmas upgrading the machine to Mojave, as I do not see any issues now. Patience is a virtue.
I can identify with others who have been forced to upgrade to Mojave, or have bought a macintosh with it off the shelf. Having your primary software with major bugs can be very problematic for business. So having waited until now for fixes etc, I have every sympathy for those who were stuck in a rut, as they are losing money and patience. 

12 hours ago, Jim Wilson said:

@Sky came here because they are hitting a wall and need help over it. Im sure if they could have avoided Revit entirely already, they would have.

Of course you don't. Please excuse the above. Did you happen to have the same problem importing those revit files after 2019 sp2 was released? If you havent had a chance to try it yet, please send me the files I can do so for you.

Jim

my point is that many issue rvt file format irrespective or with absolutely no consideration of who they are sending the file to.

admittedly getting stuff off a manufacturer’s website is unlikely to be a huge choice of file formats but even then i would be amazed if they didn’t have another file format languishing somewhere.

3 hours ago, Christiaan said:

Is the hope at VW that this will be fixed as part of the next Mojave update? Has it been fixed in macOS 10.14.2 beta 3?

From what I've heard the majority of the printing issues are printers that don't yet have Mojave drivers, so after that it's up to the manufacturer. Apple won't tell us anything ahead of time though, if they end up fixing it they will just roll it into a patch.

• Like 1